Linking Log Pond build

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
So I had been pondering ideas for an inexpensive, semi-moveable, monster tank for some of my fish, when I stumbled upon 8' landscape timbers on sale for $1.97 a piece! Immediately I thought "Linkin' Logs!" I plan on notching out the landscape timbers on both ends, connecting them in linking log fashion, reinforcing with insulation and plywood on the inside, and dropping in a pond liner! Any thoughts? Possible add an acrylic glass viewing window???

Sent from my DROID X2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Saw this done before, However they didn't notch them like linkin logs. They drilled holes through them and put some long metal rods through and bolted em together nice and tight. Think it was here on mfk but i'm not sure.

Justinw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm thinking of doing the same thing but also building a few matching raised garden beds to make the pond match the rest of the landscape. I will second the idea of securing the corners with a piece of rebar going through holes drilled vertically. I would make the pond a minimum of 30 inches deep or one heron will wipe out your stock in an afternoon, particularly in the spring when they are raising young.

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Thanks! Great ideas! Rebar will save me a TON of time, headaches, and busted up knuckles! And the matching flower beds made breaking the news of my new pond construction to the wife a breeze! MAYBE ...AQUAPONICS!?

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Well here's kind of a simple, rudimentary drawing of my basic plan.(sorry about my lack of artistic ability!)

Bktgifridays

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2012
Western New York
Update -

Decided to add an acrylic glass viewing window. Should add a unique effect to the pond, but im still slightly terrified about cutting and resealing the pond liner.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
How will you seal liner to glass?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store