2 piece glass front?

cichla fiend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
portland
So I have a 6ft long 125 gallon tank I'm thinking about tearing apart for the front and back glass panels ... my question is would be o.k to use both the front and back glass sheets for a front on a plywood build the sheets of glass are 72 1\2 x 23 x 3/8 .... I was thinking a pieace of hard wood or ply in between the two panels making my front panel 72 1/2 x 49 ... my overall tank idea was 500 + gallons @ 72 1/2w x 49t x 37 or 38 wide? ?

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I don't understand the question? Do you want to double up the glass? Making it twice as thick?
or something like this:
I've been thinking about tearing apart two 125's and keeping the four 6' pieces of glass making a 6'X6' square tank with a plywood bottom. Somehow bracing the top, maybe euro bracing?

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Oh, I see. Going taller by butting each piece on top of each other. Stacking them? Wont work. The pressure builds up the deeper the tank is. It will work if you only fill to the level of the lower piece of glass. Once you hit the wood part that will flex differently and most likely leak. If it doesn't leak when you fill over the first piece of glass and above the wood and you hit all the way full, it will over pressurize the bottom glass and will leak or explode.

cichla fiend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
portland
I was thinking it would of been kind of hoky like that ..... what about to pieces side by side with plywood in the middle

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Side by side will work. Always thought a 12'L tank would be cool

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio