First tank build ideas?

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I would like to build a plywood fish tank or another cheap option for a completely custom size. So it should be somewhere around 200 gallons. I would like to build the tank along with a stand. So what would the cheapest cost for this be? Along with cheapest materials and any cheap solutions. I cannot have a tank larger than this and Craigslist has no deals so its not a solution. Thanks! Please give a list of supplies, cost, tips, and techniques for building aquariums. This will be my first build!

-Andrew

GBHammbone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2010
Green Bay, WI
I think ther is too much cheap in your post. Depending on he custom size you are looking for will determine the number of sheets of plywood you need, which is usually around 30-35 dollars a sheet. The depth will determine glass thickness, usuall 3/8 or 1/2 inch which can be pricey. An 8x30x1/2 inch that I priced locally was between 150.00 and 200.00. Screws and silicone you can plan on between 100-200 depending on brand and amount. Then you are into your sealing components which could be potentially upwards of 150-200. Then all the misc. Lumber for the stand, trim, bulkheads. This is just some quick numbers from off the top of my head, and prices of stuff here in green bay. Personally when I build my ply tank, cheap will be the last thing I will be looking at. I in no way would discourage you from being economical, but all cheap gets you is 200 gallons on your living room floor. If I came across as an azzhat in this post I really did not mean to, I would jus hate for you to take on a project to see it fail because of saving a couple bucks.

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I think ther is too much cheap in your post. Depending on he custom size you are looking for will determine the number of sheets of plywood you need, which is usually around 30-35 dollars a sheet. The depth will determine glass thickness, usuall 3/8 or 1/2 inch which can be pricey. An 8x30x1/2 inch that I priced locally was between 150.00 and 200.00. Screws and silicone you can plan on between 100-200 depending on brand and amount. Then you are into your sealing components which could be potentially upwards of 150-200. Then all the misc. Lumber for the stand, trim, bulkheads. This is just some quick numbers from off the top of my head, and prices of stuff here in green bay. Personally when I build my ply tank, cheap will be the last thing I will be looking at. I in no way would discourage you from being economical, but all cheap gets you is 200 gallons on your living room floor. If I came across as an azzhat in this post I really did not mean to, I would jus hate for you to take on a project to see it fail because of saving a couple bucks.
Thanks! I was just looking for cheap because I don't really have that much to spend so ill save and get ready for a larger fish tank!

-Andrew

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Cheapest tank i ever made was a 6x2x2 180g. Stand was around $20 of 2x4'S. Tank was 2 sheets of 3/4"Ply at 27 each. Glue, screws and silicone probably $50 total. Gallon of drylok was $30. Glass was from a 55G tank i took apart. This setup lasted about a year before i sold it. Wish i had gotten to verify its true longevity.

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
You could get a used 220 with a stand and a glass tank off of ebay for around $500 dollars or get one out of a local trading post for that price. It would be best to have a factory made tank at that size in that it is a very commmon size. Not to mention there are a few 300's and 500 gallon tanks running around on ebay or in local trading posts for under a $1000 dollars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store