How much max acr??

Jdj211

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
I'm build a 750 plywood tank (8x5x2.5) with one viewing window 6x2.5. How many coats of max acr should I have and therefore how many buckets of it will I need? I just ordered 2 and a color kit so I can add on another if I need to before it ships

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
I'm build a 750 plywood tank (8x5x2.5) with one viewing window 6x2.5. How many coats of max acr should I have and therefore how many buckets of it will I need? I just ordered 2 and a color kit so I can add on another if I need to before it ships

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I'm pretty sure Max ACR recommends a final dry film coat of 10 mils - that's ten one-thousandths of an inch, NOT ten millimeters. The number of coats that is depends on how thick you apply it and how smooth your substrate surface is.

Sounds like your tank will have 85 square feet of plywood on the interior plus whatever framing around the window is exposed. Does that sound right? Let's round that up to 90 square feet then.

In theory a gallon kit (a kit being total volume of resin + hardener) would be more than enough but that assumes you're not using any fiberglass reinforcement and not using any of the epoxy to make fillets along all the interior edges. Fiberglass reinforcement uses up a lot of resin. I used to have a formula for estimating how much epoxy is needed to wet out different types and weight of fiberglass but I understand there are new and more accurate ways of making these calculations.

The upshot of all this is that I would contact Max ACR and ask them. Confirm the mil thickness they recommend for a tank your size and how much extra you'll need for fiberglass reinforcement, etc. I haven't dealt with them but they seem to be very helpful to others.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
You will be fine with 2 kits. I just finished my 6ftx4x3 and I used 1 kit of Max ACR to get 7 coats plus fiberglassing out of it. I still have about 1.5 inches of epoxy left in the bottle as well which I'm going to use to touch up some spots I don't like very well. Good luck with your build!

-Scott

Jdj211

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Some noob questions lol. What are fillets? And, how long do I have to wait in between coats? Does it have to cure all the way or can I just keep layering it on?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store