Looking into building a 150 gallon all glass

jpac716

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2011
Live Oak, Florida
I wanted to build a 150 gallon glass aquarium the reason is I have everything I need except glass so it will only be around $300 for the glass the layout will be 60"l x 24"w x 24"t. The biggest question I have is what should I use to brace the tank I was thinking a 2x3 for trim around the top and bottom and also either a brace in the middle or 2 staggered braces all built into 1 bottom piece and 1 top piece.

Some Specs:
Silicone= all-glass black
Glass= 3/8 10mm

Not Great but a rough draft
Tank.jpg

Tank.jpg

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Skip the wood and just use glass braces, especially considering 2x3s are going to obscure your view

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I would just epoxy, liquid rubber or max acr then. And just front view window, less expencive i would think? Or you could just run thin glass, dont think you have to think about glassthickness when you do it that way around.

jpac716

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2011
Live Oak, Florida
I would just epoxy, liquid rubber or max acr then. And just front view window, less expencive i would think? Or you could just run thin glass, dont think you have to think about glassthickness when you do it that way around.
It is going to be an all glass tank with a wooden frame instead of the black plastic frame that comes on regular glass tanks.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
You can still utilize a wood canopy up top and a piece of decorative trim on bottom...But to each their own. Best of luck w your upcoming build

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store