Plywood Thickness?

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Im planning on building a 240 gallon tank from the 240 gallon pond I have now. The liner in the frame sprung a leak. The frame is made from 2x12's. Would it be ok just to line the frame with 1/4 inch plywood and then epoxy it? Or do I need to go with 1/2 inch plywood. I plan to use 1/4 inch tempered glass for the 20 by 40 inch window.

BigDaddyK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
How far apart are the 2x12's?? are they built like a wall would be or are they flipped so that the 12" part would be screwed into rather than the 2" side? Personally I'd want to go at least 1/2". I can't see 1/4" working out for the long haul. Is there going to be multiple windows or just the one? For 20" tall I'd also go for 3/8" glass minimum instead of the 1/4" but maybe that's just me :)

Best of Luck

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
tempered glass isn't your best bet.. when it breaks it shatters.. as for 1/4" glass, it would probably be fine as long as it was framed and had a center brace.. i use 1/4" on a taller tank.

I'm with greenbud here.. build it with 3/4, no real need for the frame.. using thinner plywood even framed isn't your best option.. the plywood will still bow and you have to frame your corners..

clemsonguy1125

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
East Coast USA
Its build like a wall. So its 2 inches thick everywhere. Im just lining the wall with plywood so the epoxy has a good surface to stick too. So basically how a lot of people build ponds, just with a window and epoxy instead of a liner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store