DIY Cylinder Tank

quackerspaniel

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2008
IN
I came up with an idea today for a simple small tank.

It would consist of a glass cylinder with a funnel shaped bottom made out of acrylic that would contain a basic "under gravel filter". As far as size I'm thinking 300mm in diameter height doesn't really matter but I'm thinking only a foot or two tall.

I am still working on if it would be a filtered tank or just a water change only system.

The sketch I attached here is a water change only system.

Some things I haven't figured out yet.
-Where to get the acrylic and glass
-How to seal the acrylic and glass together

Do you guys have any advise?

Overall look.JPG
Mechanics.JPG

Mechanics.JPG

Overall look.JPG

Tyranie909

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2012
NC
You can't seal glass and acrylic. Make it out of one or the other. You can buy acrylic cylandere from most acrylic venders. Like http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/clear_cast_acrylic_tubing/462

Use weld-on 4 to seal it. You can make bigger tubes but it would involve custom bending and joining 2 pieces of acrylic together. In the end it may be more expensive to make a cylinder one than buying one sadly. If you can find a glass alternative then it could be much cheaper. Just use silicone to seal it.

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
What are you thinking of stocking this with? At 300 mm in diameter, you are looking at quite a short list of possible species. If I were you, I would look to something a big wider so that your options are at least a little increased, maybe closer to 500mm. I mean, you can put any fish you want in here that won't over stock it for volume, but some fish will just look plain funny in a thin vertical tank.

At 300mm in diameter and 1 foot vertically you are looking at 5, almost 6 gallons. Obviously at 2 feet tall, just double that figure. At 500mm in diameter you get 15.8 gallons per vertical foot, as well as more stocking options. Just some things to think about.

I would do a filtered tank just to keep it easier on yourself, and to keep the tank looking better. Water change only tanks are only going to be successful (arguably successful that is) when you have the time to change water quite frequently. Otherwise you are looking at ammonia build up and etc. Now take this with a grain of salt (not too large of one though) because I haven't been active here in a couple years, but still. It's something to think about.

Personally, I would up it to 500 or 600mm in diameter, do it 2 feet tall, and do a canister attached to the bottom, with a return running through the bottom as well because I would want to preserve the 360º viewing capabilities of a tank of this nature.

quackerspaniel

Feeder Fish
Jan 13, 2008
IN
I agree that making it larger, like 500mm would be preferable I am just having trouble finding a supply of glass cylinders that large. I have found 300mm suppliers and I am working with one in China right now that I think can do it on the cheap. Less than $10 plus shipping.

If it stays 300mm I am actually going to keep it on my desk at work so doing water changes once a week will be a pleasant distraction from doing my job.

As far as stocking my two schools of thought right now are either a puffer tank or a betta tank.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
Cylinder tanks look cool but are bad for fish. Fish naturally swim horizontally not vertically or in continuous circles. I still like them though.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
They make conical bottom takes like this in one piece...even come with drains and stands, They are not cheap either for the gallons. Cool idea but very pricey

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store