Can I build a plywood tank? PLEASE HELP

Andrew1002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2012
New jersey
I am 14 years old and not the worst at building things and I'm really creative and a really good artist. So I can design and I have a good hand to cut wood. I have built many things out of wood before. I just want to build a 300+ gallon plwood tank alone. I know my dad will help me with some things but id rather I be the one doing more work as I don't really want him saying he made it. Lol I sound really selfish. But I know ill need his help for the majority but I still want to do most things alone. I know I can do the painting and sketching part. Can I do this or should I leave it mostly to my dad. We have built things together but not Like this. I really want to be in the lead of this project as I'm going to school to design things and all my classes are on building things (majority of them). So should I do most or leave it to my dad? Thanks for your replies!

-Andrew

marxxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
USA
Based on what you said in your first post, it sounds like you have the ability to do it. I would search this site for specific directions on how to do it so you know everything involved. Then, I would say if you have the budget - go for it! It will take patience as it is a large project, but no need for a professional, just take your time and don't be sloppy.

Good luck!

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
If you have to ask, I'd assume you don't have the confidence to take on such a large project. Is your dad a carpenter? Do you have the necessary tools? Do you have the funds? If you feel you can do it, make it so. Don't ask us to know you and your father's skill sets because it won't be our floors getting ruined if you mess up. Research as much as possible before you even consider it. For the record, it may be cheaper and easier for someone your age to just buy a tank.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I say go for it. Do enough research on some other plywood tanks that have been built. You could build a tank that large for much cheaper than buying one that size.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Go read up on some other threads and prove the doubters wrong. If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
I don't think there is a professional plywood builder out there and if im wrong then I would love to apply for the job lol. However, many people that build these tanks have experience with wood building or other handy skills.
If you are worried about your skills maybe try a smaller scale tank that you'll have less costs and time into? I would suggest sealing the tank with a liquid rubber rather than epoxy or fiberglass. Its alot more forgiving to work with

Sent from my MB860 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
No reason you shouldn't be able to do it mostly yourself. Start off by finding your glass first

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store