can I do this?

fkabbage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2010
5412 via alcazar
ok so I want to make a 270 gallon plywood tank, but if I do I probably wont be able to put sand in for a couple months after it's done. Soooo I was wondering if I could put in that much sand after my tank is already running with fish in it? would I just have to lower the water when I do it? thanks for reading, I just would want my fish to be safe especially when I will be getting more expensive ones as I further myself in the hobby.

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
If the sand is already been established in another tank you'll be ok.. if its just random sand you have just bought or picked up then it will be more risky but you'll still probably be ok.. you could add it in portions. Like a few buckets per week or something

Sent from my MB860 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fkabbage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2010
5412 via alcazar
If the sand is already been established in another tank you'll be ok.. if its just random sand you have just bought or picked up then it will be more risky but you'll still probably be ok.. you could add it in portions. Like a few buckets per week or something

Sent from my MB860 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
didn't think of that. thank sounds very promising.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
I've added sand several times to establish tanks. After good rinse just turned off filters and used a fish net to place in water and lower toward bottom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store