Tank Liner for WAR FISH!? (My Oscars fight a lot :)

Desdinova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2010
Kentucky
I've seen a lot of talk around the forums about different options for waterproofing the inside of a tank. What material I pick has to take into consideration that my fish could end up gouging the lining with sharp fins or slamming into the sides of the tank, while contending for supremacy. Those of you who have experience with these materials, what kind would you recommend? I was thinking about a thick acrylic epoxy, but putting on layer after layer sounds tiresome.

I made plans to use a pond liner, but then realized it was just going to end up with a hole in it...

cichlidtank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2011
bridgeportopia
Concrete with masonry sealer. I've used antihydro additive in concrete and this will make it waterproof (for pond) so maybe an additional coat of sealer for something in the house.

Desdinova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2010
Kentucky
Do you have a thread(s) for that build(s)? I would love to see it :)

I suppose I need to figure out how thick I need to make it, for structural strength. I hadn't thought about making a pure cement build. I suppose I could even suspend the acrylic window in the cement, rather than pouring the cement and framing it on the inside.

cichlidtank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2011
bridgeportopia
my thoughts exactly.
I dont have a build thread on this, I should have tracked the work, it was a 1600 square feet pond with 4 concrete waterfalls that was originally built around 1912 and hadnt ran in 40 some years. I had to remove dirt and plants that had made home there.maybe I can dig up some pictures, it was a build for a customer. The product I added to my mix was ANTI-HYDRO and I used it like a stucco, Im gonna build a fish tank and add this directly to the mix.

Im thinking 6 inches thick should be thick enough for the purpose but that depends alot on the length of runs between corners and the height.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store