Contemplating plywood tank build

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
Title says it all, but to make a short story long, here's the deal:

Wife, who is not all that into my hobby, jokes the other night that if she wins the lottery, I can put a HUGE tank in the wall. To which I reply, "So, you don't have any problems with me setting up more tanks? I got two empty 10g laying around."

She just kind of rolled her eyes, but didn't outright dismiss it. Game on if you ask me! :D

Anyway, thinking about some kind of DIY project but had some questions:
1. I read the thread from a few years ago about the guy(s) in Canada having access to Zavlar, which seems the best way to go. It doesn't appear to be available in the states, so a question to my California MFK DIYers: what do you guys use to seal the tank?

2. I already have a pair of 90g reef-ready tanks going. Sumps are the way to go as far as I'm concerned, and I will never not have a large tank without a sump. That being said, how do I set one up DIY? Obviously the ones I have now have overflow boxes in the corner, but I didn't want to make overflow boxes. If I just run an outlet and return without the boxes, is it essentially a closed loop system? Where would I place the bulkheads, bottom of tank or up high on the wall?

3. What is the difference between building a a rectangular (regular) tank as opposed to something more square? Is there a difference between a tall tank compared to a wider tank, given same amount of volume?

Long-winded, I know, but any info anyone can provide would be appreciated. I haven't decided how big (but at least 180, 220 or more) or stock list.

Thanks!

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
Also, do you use finish grade plywood? Why? Couldn't you save money by using the rough plywood, since it will be coated/painted anyway?

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Rough plywood will soak up more of your sealing product you will end up paying more. Generally taller tanks need thicker glass so wider/longer will get you more volume cheaper. Placement of bulkheads will depend on how you want your pipes setup. If you're budget minded consider most efficient use of materials when deciding dimensions

PGill

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
Iowa
You want the rough ply to create a better bond for the epoxy or liquid rubber. The taller the tank the greater the pressure.

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
You want the rough ply to create a better bond for the epoxy or liquid rubber. The taller the tank the greater the pressure.
So longer and wider? (Yes!) How deep, in general, does a tank really need to be? for sake of argument, say I want to keep an arrowana. Would it prefer something long and wide enough to easily turn around, or does it need to be a certain depth as well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store