brackish puffers with eels

dan the moose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
the T dot
www.myspace.com
alright, i know puffers like to nip fins, so what if i set up a brackis tank, with moray eels, and dwarf puffers, would i have issues (aside from the eel eating the puffer, which might be avoided, if i can get a big enough puffer, and small enough eel) or am i pretty much doomed to haveing a puffer alone in the tank?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Placing puffers with worm-shaped (like their food) tankmates is seldom ever a good idea. And, you say 'dwarf' puffer. Do you mean any of the smaller species or the Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)? The Dwarf Puffer is not a brackish water species. This one prefers freshwater.

dan the moose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
the T dot
www.myspace.com
i wasnt exactly shure what species of puffer it is that we got in. BUT the freshwater moray starts out fresh, goes brackish, and then eventually salt

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
I don't see a problem with it if you got the correct setup. How big is the tank? If you had a big enough tank, you could get a Moray and a GSP and take them through their natural life cycle from Fresh-->Brackish-->Salt

Snake_Eyes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Nebraska
I've kept GSP and moray's together before without problem just make sure the puffers aren't to small to eat and provide plenty of hiding places for the eel.

Tanyoberu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2006
NJ
It will be a matter of taste, rather distaste. The eel and the puffer fish are very intelligent fish. The puffers use sight and will learn quickly that eels apparently taste horrible, and your eels, being almost blind will learn what tank mates it can and can't eat.

My eels all "tasted" the puffers that resided with them and even though it is horrible to see eels with teeth bite the puffers, they quickly spit them out. The puffers skin is tougher than it looks too, because they didn't seem affected by the taste test. Soon after that though, the eels would still nose up to the puffers but would never bite at them.

The puffers also never bothered to even try to test the eels. It could be an innate or unnoted warning the eels put out that prevent them from being bullied, even by fish that could possibly consume them. The larger fish in my tank, the Datnoids would only push them around and it was funny to see the two species wrestle each other for cave space, but no harm came to either fish.

In the worse case, you'll learn very fast if your fish will cooperate.

dan the moose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
the T dot
www.myspace.com
well ,i might learn quicker than expected. i got a clown knife, so im gonna have to upgrade my tank relitively quickly, meaning ill have an empty 20 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store