TinFoil Barb

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
this is a kinda dumb question; but here it goes; I 've kept fish for years; but had never owned tin foild; well yesterday I bought my first 4 tin foils ever 4x 6"ers well I put them in my dat tank and the dats really didnt care much for them; well the dats did the usual thing everytime I introduce a new fish but nothing really serious. Anyway so the I drip acclimated the tin foils for about an hour almost and then put them in the tank; they seemed fine except for the fact that they were breathing a little heavily; which I thought was normal becuse I just put them in a new tank. Anyway a few hours go by and the tin foils were swimming around the tank. So I decided to do a 25% water change later in the evening; well after I did this an hour later 3 of my for tin foils were dead; what happend???

reddragon343

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2005
singapore
tinfoils are extremely sensetive to water parameters, a slight change can kill em. often reccomended for water testing.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
Hmm, tinfoils are extremely hardy indeed.
I suspect that they were breathing due to being put in a new environment. Nothing to do with water parameters as you dripped them and the dats are fine.

I recon that they were sensitive and scared after being put in this new environment. And the stress of the 25% water change finished them off. I suspect it was just shock apposed to the water itself if your dats are okay.

I never do water changes after adding new fish (it is debatable).
Instead i cover the tank/dim the lights and leave the fish to it without getting in the way as much as possible. Just monitoring from time to time.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
prabably got shocked from ph or temperature from ur ank and the tank it came from.
He acclimatised them properly, so water temperature or chemistry would not have been a problem. Just shock of the move and new environment is the best bet.

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
thanks for your comments guys.

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
I have always found tinfoils very hardy.

I have never been able to kill one.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
Likewise Steve.
However i guess you can kill nearly any fish if you add it to a new tank then start playing around with the water while it is settling in. Just shock and stress.

REDhooK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Penn
tinfoils are great keep their water well aireated or else theyl croak

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
tin foils are hardy but NEED lot's of O2. When the power goes out, they are usually the first to go due to asphyxiation

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store