how long does it take for them to grow?

fazt998cc

Feeder Fish
Dec 17, 2006
MD
hello all i'm new to the hobby as well as to this site... i have: 2x clownknife, 2x pacus, 2x oscars, 2x pangasius catfish, 3x silver-tipped shark, 4x kenyis, 6x pink-kissing gouramies, 2x chinese algae eaters & 1 common pleco ... how long does it take for them to grow? i see that my pacus have started to grow since when feeding time comes they are very aggressive... thanks...

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
the pacus will grow very fast and very large. those fish will all get a decent size pretty quick. hope you have a large tank and a lot of filtration. welcome to the hobby.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Hi, and welcome to MFK, im sure you'll be batting away the advice given to you soon enough. How bigs your tank, thats a lot of fish, and some potential monsters in there! the pleco will get to 12-24" depending on species, but probably 24" and will get to 15" pretty quick. Growth rate of fish depends on how clean their environment is i.e. how good the water quality is, aswell as what you feed and how much you feed, and the amount of space they have to grow. Growth rates are also affected by how big the fish already is, many fish grow very quickly as fry for the first half of their size, and then the rate slows down drastically. How big are your fish currently?

aro-guy246

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
Virginia, USA
You might want to think about thinning out your stock a little bit. I'd take the pacus back while they're still small and can still earn store credit. Those fish get enormous and are really not suitable for anything other than a large pond. Keep reading around this site, there's tons of useful information.

fazt998cc

Feeder Fish
Dec 17, 2006
MD
i'm planning on building a 1500-2000 gallon tank to house all of them soon, but for now i have a 75 gal tank w/2 power filtration & i test my water often... i feed them high protein flakes, brine shrimp pellets, vegetables, algae flakes, frozen (thawed) blood worms... i'm attached to all of them so giving them up is not an option if/when it need be i will house them separately in multiple tanks until i build their house...

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I hope you can build that big tank soon. They all grow at a good rate. Some of those fish will grow an inch a month (possibly more) if water changes and feeding are kept up on.

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
The pacus will probably grow more than an inch a month and might eat some of the other fish once their big enough so hope you get that pond going soon. Just my .02 GL :)

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store