Bumblebee grouper

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
So what is this I hear about a FRESHWATER BB grouper? I thought this was a marine fish? Please kindly PM me to let me know if you respond. Thanks

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
Epinephelus lanceolatus needs full marine as an adult, but juveniles can be estuarial. Some juveniles are collected in very light brackish to full fresh, and are offered as freshwater bumblebee groupers. They are expensive though (IMO opinion too pricey for a fish that will eventually need salt, will lose their juvenile pattern, and will grow way to big for me to ever be able to house). They are very impressive fish though.

bichir addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Florida
arent they also called a goliath grouper??? there like the biggest grouper or sumthing? if they are the goliath grouper i see them all the time around here in aquariums and such but i never see juvies or babys.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Yes people buy them for a hella lot, and then they die in a couple of years or earlier because they are a saltwater fish.

bichir addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Florida
Personally i think its a waste to spend a grand on a fish that is either going to die or you will have to donate it to some aquarium because it gets to huge sizes. I have seen one that weighed 500 lbs.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
bichir addict;627612; said:
arent they also called a goliath grouper??? there like the biggest grouper or sumthing? if they are the goliath grouper i see them all the time around here in aquariums and such but i never see juvies or babys.
I have heard them being called Queensland Grouper. The largest reef dwelling fish in the world. 9' have been recorded.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
They sure look great, but almost impossible to keep.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
ewurm;629099; said:
They sure look great, but almost impossible to keep.
Agree, awesome fish esp. with juvenille colors but man can you imagine a 5ft grouper and the tank needed for one...

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Umm.... Has anyone seen Wes's monster? Kept in full fresh and doing fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store