Massive Casualties

chris76424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
Austin, TX
I have a huge tank with a pacu. I keep my tanks in the garage. She went crazy and broke her heater which shorted out the power in the garage. I was out of town for a day and a half. When I got home EVERYONE was dead. Its been cold and I guess no oxygen and no heat did them in. Now I must start from scratch. Guess I am going to make one of the spare bedrooms a fish-room. I can't let this happen again. It cost a fortune stock all those tanks and now I must start from scratch. Guess I am just lookin for someone to feel sorry for me.

chris76424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
Austin, TX
The worst things to loose were my prized Blood Parrots I have raised since they were tiny. I will miss those guys for sure.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Damn, I don't know if I'd want to keep in the hobby if I lost my prized fish, much less my entire collection. Really sorry for your losses, I applaud ya for wanting to start over, you have my condolences.

Maybe someone near you can donate some fish to help ya rebuild?

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Oddball;630670; said:
I truly feel your pain. Had a pump seize while I visited the family. Lost $4800.00 in rare and 1-of catfish and oddballs in my 650gal.
Sorry for your losses.
Ouch!

Sorry for your losses chris but at least they are less expensive/easier to replace fish. Not discounting it at all.

IMFishHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2005
Clifton New Jersey USA
Sorry to hear about your losses, most of us long time fish keepers have some kind of horror story and got that sick feeling seeing our loss! Even worse way to spend holiday season!

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
Oddball;630670; said:
I truly feel your pain. Had a pump seize while I visited the family. Lost $4800.00 in rare and 1-of catfish and oddballs in my 650gal.
Sorry for your losses.
I had a pump seze and I lost these three fish so I can feel your pain.. oh yeah thats a 55 that they are sitting in they were in my 750 untill that damm pump seized. now i have 4 pumps in my sump so it doesnt matter if one seizes or even three it can last now

102_1130.JPG

102_1131.JPG

102_1132.JPG

chris76424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2005
Austin, TX
Thanks for the kind words. Have started converting spare room into a fish room. Will just take a while to get back up and running. Lost alot of eels and knife fish that will take a while to find. I perfer the oddball type fish. Puffers as well, had some great ones.

qumqats

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Sacramento
gallery.outel.org
Leasons to learn from all this.

1.) don't use glass heaters, or hide them where the fish can't get to them, like in the sump.
2.) don't have a single pump/filter, use multiple smaller pumps/filters so you don't have single-point-of-failure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store