Mormyrid Id and questions

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
so i was at a LFS here in Maryland , on vacation, adn i noticed this VERY interesting mormyrid sp.

its obviously in the genus Mormyrus, just cant naow down the species, i know the pics r TERRIBLE, therye from my phone, and there was soooooo much glare and he wouldnt stop movin, i know excusses ecxusses, but i was hopin sum1 could help me a little bit;)

ive never ever seen a mormyrus is person before, ive seen plenty of elephant noses and "baby whales" but never 1 of these. i will buy him if he doesnt get too huge.
heres 2 HORRIBLE pics of his cute self :)

the pics r too big so u have to click on the link and click "open" to see um.....sorry guys its the best i can do

thnx a million in advance

Attachments

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
i KNOW, ill go back in the next few days with my camera............. hes sooooooo adorable.

u ever owned a mormyrus rottbo? if so were they as shy as elephant noses and similar moryrids? cuz this guys doesnt seem shy at all........

same for anyone else with any experience with mormyrus, how was keeping them? did they go over to frozen bloodworms easily? the whole 9 yards, ive kep elephant noses beofre but never one of these............

bichir addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Florida
Mormyrops longirostris is what it appears to be to me. I would buy it right now. I never see mormyrids around here just dumb elephant noses.

Does it look like that?

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
bichir addict;635222; said:
Mormyrops longirostris is what it appears to be to me. I would buy it right now. I never see mormyrids around here just dumb elephant noses.

Does it look like that?
ya ive seen that pics before. its pretty much like him, as close as anything else ive seen.

but thats no good cuz that means hes gonna get 30" long!!!!!!!:WHOA: thats alot of bloodworms :ROFL: im already tring to figure out what to do wiht my gar when he gets that big.

ive only got a 100 gallon right now..............

how fast do these fellas grow?

ill probably go get petter pics of him in the next few days...........

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
i was also thinking along the lines of Mormyrus Kannume, Mormyrus Rume, and Mormyrus Caballus. but theyre all so similar.............

damn u fishbase and ur contraditory info/pics!!!!!!!!!lol, no really i love fishbase, just not for mormyrids:headbang2

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
How big is it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store