Looking for info on Leporinus Fasciatus (banded Leporinus)

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
i heard you cant keep other fish with them because they eat the eyes. but i also hear they are slow growers so you can keep one in a 55 for a while.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
They are fine when they are small, but get over 1 foot long, and get very agressive. They are vegi eaters so give them vegi wafers and dried algae.

brown_eye_crushers25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Pretty cool looking patterns. Heard they jump like crazy. He hasn't been aggressive as far as I've seen - more like curious to a point of aggrivating others in the tank. He's actually got my Cat to start chasing him but he is too fast for him.

He loves blood worms - haven't tried veggies with him yet.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I have had them before. They get around 12 inches. They can be aggressive I kept my adults with African Mbuna. They will eat eyes of fish if given the chance. They are a cool fish though but keep them with fast swimmers in a larger tank. At least 50 gallons.

Darthsniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Connecticut USA
I have a 13" one in my 220. He is aggressive but cant do damage with that puny mouth. I think he might have eaten a few small clown loaches on me though. He has never tried to jump out either and all the other fish have their eyes. :naughty: they will eat anything, so be carefull not 2 go too crazy with the protien around them.

sicxspeed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Ryht Bye De Beech
These guys are cool fish. Very active and really really fast. They eat anything that will fit into their puny mouths. They are not overly aggressive. Mine was harrasses to death by the cichlids I keep it with. It seemed to be a pretty fast grower in my tank, about the same speed as the Livinstoni it was housed with and got to 8 inches fairly quickly it seemed. It did not really back down to often but would get the crap kicked out of it by other fish.

eh1421

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2005
*indiana*
keep a good covered lid as mine jumped ship while doing a water change and died

mike

Darthsniper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Connecticut USA
I had a school of 7 once that all were about 9" and they got along ok.

I have never seen one get beat up by other fish once they hit 8-10 inches. In fact they have this cool tail-whip action that I'm sure others have seen. They kind of slap a fish that bothers them pretty good with the last 1/3 of their bodies. Even my big jag decided "to hell with it" and left him alone ofter a while. And they are FAST!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store