Gentle Giants

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
It has been playing on my head way to much lately. So maybe you can all help me out? I am curious as to what gentle giants there are, every big fish I think of will eat smaller fish or just be plain aggressive. I am looking at possible fish they grow fairly large, but won’t attack other fish. When I say ‘large’ I mean 12 inches+. And when I say ‘don’t attack other fish’ I mean I accept them eating tinny (tetra size) fish but not fish of a good few inches.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Fei Feng? they're somewhat large also maybe pseud. niger or m. irwini

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Gee I don't know of any large fish that wouldn't enjoy a smaller fish meal...I mean there's a reason they are giant ;)

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Jeox;641992; said:
Monster Clown loach?
A big plec?
Monster loaches get predatory with age.

RedDevilDon2005;641997; said:
are giant gourami's carnivourous?
yes, yes they are

cichlaguapote;642001; said:
Fei Feng? they're somewhat large also maybe pseud. niger or m. irwini
Fei Fengs are knows to suck onto the sides of a fish.

I have scats and they are big and peaceful. Swordspine Snooks are the same way, and I am getting one of them soon too.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Clown loach isn't a gentle giant. My 6-7 inchers ate feeders. As did my 14" RTGG.

The only gentle giant I can think of, off the top of my head, is the Chinese Highfin Banded Shark [Myxoxcyprinus asiaticus]. These fish grow (albeit slowly) to over 3 feet long. They're primarily herbivores and turn their noses up at live/frozen foods. They'll eat algae wafers, pellet, sticks, frozen veggies, fruit, etc. They can live for around 25 years.

bandedshark.jpg

Brooklynella

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
LI, NY
Iridescent Sharks? Tri color Sharks? Yes, I know Tri Color's don't reach 12" but they're close enough.;)
Ghost Knife?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store