Needlefish (Xenentodon cancila) questions

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
I have a few quesions that I can't seem to get straight answers to on the web, so I figured I'd ask the experts.

1. Do these fish prefer freshwater or brackish? Are they one of the species that start out in freshwater but need brackish as they mature?

2. What's the healthiest diet for them? Is a half-and-half mix of feeder comets and rosy reds adequate?

3. Do they prefer to school (i.e. a group of 3) or live singly?

4. Ours has a bright red, centimeter-long, slightly raised ridge just behind his head. Does this mean he's a male?

He is currently in a 75 gallon freshwater tank, without any others of his species, and is fed a mix of comets and rosy reds. We buy about 12 fish a week, and release them into the tank and he and the ornate bichir pick them off whenever they get hungery. The feeders eat what the other fish in the tank eat, which is a mix of flake, frozen, pellet, wafers, and spirulina flakes.

Thanks, Monster keepers!

mjryan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Harrison Twp, Mi
phaedraeos;642118; said:
I have a few quesions that I can't seem to get straight answers to on the web, so I figured I'd ask the experts.

1. Do these fish prefer freshwater or brackish? Are they one of the species that start out in freshwater but need brackish as they mature?
Brackish

2. What's the healthiest diet for them? Is a half-and-half mix of feeder comets and rosy reds adequate?
Feeders, but i have had success "training" to eat NON live foods

Yes, 3 or more

4. Ours has a bright red, centimeter-long, slightly raised ridge just behind his head. Does this mean he's a male?
Not sure on the red markings (YET), but have seen them with them

He is currently in a 75 gallon freshwater tank, without any others of his species, and is fed a mix of comets and rosy reds. We buy about 12 fish a week, and release them into the tank and he and the ornate bichir pick them off whenever they get hungery. The feeders eat what the other fish in the tank eat, which is a mix of flake, frozen, pellet, wafers, and spirulina flakes.
i would consider a larger tank in the future, especially if you get any more
Thanks, Monster keepers!
See red above

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
phaedraeos;642118; said:

Thanks, Monster keepers!

1. Mine did very well in a salinity of 1.008
2. Mine ate feeder guppies until I could get it to eat krill, after it started eating krill, it got eaten.
3. I only had one Needlefish
4. When I got it, he had a very dark black lateral stripe, it dissapeared and he turned metallic.

Ketamine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Factoria, WA
I kept two they rarely left each others side and from what I read they eat better when they have to compete for food. I didn't add much salt to my aquarium when I kept them just about 1 tablespoon per 20g and they were about a foot long each.

I'm not saying I had them at optimum conditions but it seemed to work just fine.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
phaedraeos;642241; said:
Would they do ok in freshwater? Is there a point in their lives where they need brackish?
I think they will be fine in freshwater, but they do fine in brackish water too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store