brackish

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
Im working on this brackish tank and was wondering if a bubble wond would be ok? I know there ok in freshwater and not so ok for saltwater,what about brackish.
Also,what about a powerhead? do i need one like in salt? Im thinking im to treet brackish like freshwater with salt in it. Right now i added 2 cups of salt last night and its at 1.000,tomorrow i was going to add another 2 or 3 cups and see were it brings it. Its a 55 gal.
Would it be better to do this very very slow as to not hurt the BB,or would it take just as long to just though the salt in and let it cycle? thanks
Sorry, i have a freshwater testkit,would this be ok or do i need to order a saltwater testkit too?

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
Sorry one other question? if im getting a (feshwater) snowflake eel for this tank,would these help on the bites?:)

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
xstar;644758; said:
Im working on this brackish tank and was wondering if a bubble wond would be ok? I know there ok in freshwater and not so ok for saltwater,what about brackish.
Also,what about a powerhead? do i need one like in salt?yes, brackish fish LOVE water movement, and powerheads do gas exchange better than bubbles Im thinking im to treet brackish like freshwater with salt in it. Right now i added 2 cups of salt last night and its at 1.000,tomorrow i was going to add another 2 or 3 cups and see were it brings it. Its a 55 gal.
Would it be better to do this very very slow as to not hurt the BB,or would it take just as long to just though the salt in and let it cycle?I would buy a good hydrometer or refractometer, get the SG where you want and then start the cycle instead of doing all of this adding salt thanks
Sorry, i have a freshwater testkit,would this be ok or do i need to order a saltwater testkit too? it should be fine
check out the red

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
cool thank you sooo much,that helped me a lot. thanks

albinomoray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2006
MD
From my understanding you do not harm the fish as much when placing them suddenly in less salinity but you harm them raising it up too quickly. The ideal specific gravity for brackish is 1.008 but not below 1.004

I want to get a gymnothorax tile the so called freshwater snowflake myself. I have an albino moray of a different species now with a toadfish and will be adding a red scat soon.

ferco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2006
Scotland
I always had my Brackish Archers at a steady 1.004 and checked regularly with a refractor thingy lol; but i used a big external filter in my Rio 180 and the archers seemed to love the flow from the filter and seemed very happy.
When setting up my tank; I had the three small archers in a 10gal tank that i had acclimatized them to and was equal to that of the water the had been in at the fish store... I went on the basis of adding i think it was 2tbs of salt per gallon... i just kept it going adding a few now and then, letting it settle then adding some more 10 mins later; until i reached my desired salinity; it was equal to that of the 10gal. I then left it for a few days or was it a week; can't remember just now and added my archers to it; they were so happy to have so much room, lol and they looked better with the sand i had used as a substrate rather than gravel. ahh... good times...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store