Lizard fish

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
so, i walked into my favorite lfs, and they had some "Lizard Fish", i orningialy left without them, but decied that i should at least try them out.....im gonna keep them in full fresh as my reasarch uncovered that none of the few people that kept them had no trouble with them in fresh.............
so i got 2 little 1 inch lizards and ploped them into my 5.5 gallon wiht the flying barb.........

i hanvt found much info on the web, or on ]v[fk either, just a few half answered threads....

i guess they get big, so ill move them into the 100 gallon eventually, after they grow up alot......

ive got a few q's on them..

1. what is the scientific name?
2. what kind of grwoth rates should i expect?
3. i havnt offered them nething yet, what do they eat?
4. ne tips for a lizard newbie?

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
heres a few super crappy pics, therye hidin pretty good scicne therye soo small.....

mabe these will help tho....

Picture 367.jpg

Picture 364.jpg

Picture 365.jpg

Picture 366.jpg

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
ok well, thyere not lizardfish at all.........theyre a Homaloptera Sp.
they seemed a little too "hillstream loach" ish so i did a few google searches and wahlaa....

whatever, either way theyre killer little guys..... just need to figure out what the hell they eat.....

i think therye Homaloptera stephensoni, kool little guys.....

Aussienative

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Australia
grmanrocks;644967; said:
ok well, thyere not lizardfish at all.........theyre a Homaloptera Sp.
they seemed a little too "hillstream loach" ish so i did a few google searches and wahlaa....

whatever, either way theyre killer little guys..... just need to figure out what the hell they eat.....

i think therye Homaloptera stephensoni, kool little guys.....
I was gunna say! your first and last pic look awfully like "hillstream loaches" :ROFL:

They are cold water fish so do some research and adjust your tank setup accordingly :)

They are awesome looking little fish!

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
ya, its already a temperate tank cuz i have my esomus lineatus (flying barb) in there :)

ill try to give them some frozen bloodworms tomarrow...........
ive alos gotta hope that the barb doesnt get pissed at them..........it kills everythng i try to put it with akmost imeadiatly,, but it seems to be leavin thses alone, mabe due to the overlaping home ranges...........

i might go bak and get some more...........theyre pretty darn kool...........

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I would agree it is some type of river loach, probably a Homaloptera. I can't see it well enough to be sure but it could be stephonsoni, leonardi, or a couple others.
They are sensitive to some meds such as copper, formalin, and malachite green, but while needing good O2 levels, can tolerate temps a bit higher than the more commonly imported Beaufortia genus of hillstream loaches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store