Brackish natural cleaners

alex101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Cleveland Ohio
www.myspace.com
I'm looking for some ways to keep fungus out of my tank. I try to keep some ghost shrimp in there at all times to keep rubbish off the tank bottom such as old bloodworm bits and such but I want to make sure that this black fungus I had doesn't come back or if it does it can be cleaned by something natural. Any ideas?

blackwolfXKAV

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
New Britain, CT.
have you been doing water changes on a regular basis? other than poor maintentance or inaccessable areas, there should not be fungus in your tank. i am doubtful that a shrimp would consume a fungus, and i think a better solution would be to reduce the feed, perform more frequent water changes, and to move around any objects in your tank to improve the flow (to keep the fungus from settling)

hth, Black.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
blackwolfXKAV;646251; said:
have you been doing water changes on a regular basis? other than poor maintentance or inaccessable areas, there should not be fungus in your tank. i am doubtful that a shrimp would consume a fungus, and i think a better solution would be to reduce the feed, perform more frequent water changes, and to move around any objects in your tank to improve the flow (to keep the fungus from settling)

hth, Black.

:iagree:

was it black fungus are black beard algae? If it is just algae, more water changes will do the trick.

alex101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Cleveland Ohio
www.myspace.com
Sorry it was a black algae......I cleaned everything yesterday and scrubbed what I could

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Dormitator maculatus (fat sleeper) is supposed to eat black and green algae as is the Awaous banana (river goby) that stays at a more managable size (around 12"), but it prefers hair algae.
The pic of the D. maculatus is by LePare and the one of A. banana is by Artigas Azas.
There are also several tilapia that eat a lot of algae and do well in brackish water. Nothing works as well as good maintanance though.

Domac_u1.jpg

Awban_u0.jpg

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
guppy;646978; said:
Dormitator maculatus (fat sleeper) is supposed to eat black and green algae as is the Awaous banana (river goby) that stays at a more managable size (around 12"), but it prefers hair algae.
The pic of the D. maculatus is by LePare and the one of A. banana is by Artigas Azas.
There are also several tilapia that eat a lot of algae and do well in brackish water. Nothing works as well as good maintanance though.
I want one of each of them!

Just keep up on maintainence and you will not have to worry about it.

Good luck Alex

alex101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Cleveland Ohio
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys.......Helps apreciated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store