So I got my Mangrove Jack Snapper...

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
The story...long but kind of funny
Hello, I finally found what I have been searching for. This Mangrove Snapper is around 4" and has been living in 100% freshwater at the LFS where I got him for over a month. The goofs at the LFS also claimed he was born from a line of freshwater Jacks at their suppliers breeding facility, however I am a bit skeptical of their knowledge. This same fish when I first discovered it a month ago was originally labeled as Coal Grunter Snapper and was $40.00. It caught my eye beacuse it looked like the Jack I had been wanting but was labeled as something different. I thought I'd go home to research this. The fish resembled more of a Sooty than the Coal but still not quite matching either physical description. Upon returning to the LFS after a month of debating whether I should get it or not, it was then that I noticed the name and price change-imagine my excitement. I looked the fish over again. Same fish as before but this time labeled as Mangrove Snapper and only $25.00. I confirmed the identifable markings of a Jack. I was cheered by the guy I asked to net and bag the fish. He said he was glad to see this guy go because this fish had already killed tankmates and hoped I knew what I was getting. I jokingly said "I sure do know what I am getting." I didn't have the nerve to call them flat out on the name/price change but I did ask what happened to the Coal Grunter they had a few weeks prior. One of the other guys overheard and chimed in not knowing I had already had the Jack bagged up. He said its right over here and walked to the tank the Jack came out of! Awkward moment but it felt good knowing that I got the best out of the "pros" at the LFS this time.

I am currently growing him out in an established 72g 4ft freshwater tank along with similar sized African cichlids. All is well so far 3 days after introduction. The Jack has already been introduced to the bottom of the pecking order; 6" Oreochromis Tangneaca at the top, followed by Dimideochromis Compriceps, a trio of Fossorochromis Rostratus, and a Cypthotalapia Frontosa. No problems with aggression so far as I do like to overfeed. Once he outgrows the 4footer I am going to move him into my 125g 6 footer occupied by 9" Indo Dat, 5" Thinbar Dat, and a 7" Hampala Barb. Meanwhile I'll have some time to save up and plan for that 300g!

The question...
Would it be a good move to slowley acclimate this Jack, who was born and lived over a year in 100% freshwater, into brackish conditions once he gets larger? The LFS it came from has beautiful Marine and Brackish tanks setup so if it came from their supplier as Brackish/Marine I believe the store would keep it in the correct tank.

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
my apologies for not listing the scientific name. it is Lutjanus Argentimaculatus, which after researching a bit more on this particular species can indeed live its entire life in 100%freshwater. good call

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
I had mine in 100% freshwater the entire time that I had him. He was about 14" when I went to give him to someone else.

I had him on mainly a market shrimp diet. I tried to keep several things with him and had no success at all.

My mangrove...

Nice pick up BTW, I really liked mine. It just sucked that I wasn't able to keep him with anything else.

scat66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
aus
Mine won't have tankmates either. He is currently approx 20 inches and eating pellets, he did however live with a coal grunter and a polleni intil he hit aroud the 6 inch mark. Nice fish good pick up.

100_2079.JPG

100_2080.JPG

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Very nice Jacks.

Im really wanting one in my LFS atm. It would be close to 20"

They want $300 AUS for it which is overpriced...but it is very nice.

T

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Fish Island
i tried a small lil snapper with in my tank damm man it was punkn fish 20 times bigger then it.

Gemeines

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2006
U.S.A.
These are awesome pics guys! This is my favorite free swimming fish.

these things will tackle huge prey!

I bought a baby one at Jacks aquarium & pets, Sold to me as a datinoid.
Mine had two white canine looking teeth protruding from his upper lip. Like buck teeth.
it was long before digital cameras. but still have lots of crappy pics of him.

He backed off a pike cichlid much larger than him and fought off evil adult Combtail Gouramis when he was only 4 inches

have not seen one in a shop for years.

I love these pics guys!! its like keeping fish vicariously.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store