African Butterfly

cburkhart78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Texas oilfield
I'm thinking of getting one.I've read they top out between 4" and 6".I was wondering if anyone could tell me about temperment and lighting since they stay at the top.Also, do they need floating plants.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Floating plants are a great idea for these guys. The temp should be around 82-84 F

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Floating plants are very good thing to have. These guys are just as good at jumping as hatchets, so a tight lid is a must. No smaller fish should be kept with these, they are carnivores, and is an osteoglossiform. Crickets are a great staple for food for these guys, as well as krill/plankton, small pan worms, and bloodworms.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
They have been known to be quite picky feeders at first, and some people have trouble getting them to feed, so i'd ask if they are feeding and what on when you buy them. Floating plants are good, as long as it doesnt take up the whole of the surface area. Anything that can fit in their mouth will be eaten, especially if they are mid-top water water fish. And yes they max about 10cm

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
ive got one and i love it..........i fed him moths till winter, when they dissapered, now he gets omega one flakes...........

he is ussualy just sittin in one place in the day, but when i turn on the moonlights he comes out lookin for food :)

u cant have any holes in the lod, mine jumped thru a tiny one, in the middle of the night, luckily that woke me up and i was able to find him just in time........

i recomend them, i like um, id have 4 if mine didnt kill ne ohters i tried to add........

mjryan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Harrison Twp, Mi
make sure you dont have a strong current at the top of the water

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
davo;648083;648083 said:
They have been known to be quite picky feeders at first, and some people have trouble getting them to feed, so i'd ask if they are feeding and what on when you buy them. Floating plants are good, as long as it doesnt take up the whole of the surface area. Anything that can fit in their mouth will be eaten, especially if they are mid-top water water fish. And yes they max about 10cm
If you have a hard time getting them to eat try small live crickets, also leave open areas between clumps of plants, anchored long clumps of elodea work as well. Once established they often breed.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

You can keep a pair in your 45 gal. They eat anything that floats. Avoid surface currents and provide some floating plants or plants that reach the surface (Vallisneria). A piece of cork bark is also great :thumbsup:

HarleyK

cburkhart78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
Texas oilfield
Thanks for all the great info!I think I'm gonna try to locate some and start getting my tank ready.I've got quite a bit of surface current and gaps in my cover.I'll also need some floating plants.I think I'll silicone some(plastic) into some vertical standing driftwood that I have already in the tank.Thanks again!:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store