coal grunter

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
ne1 keep these guys? hepheastus carbo is the latin name i think....
was wonderin what their temperment was like, big fish community safe? was thinkin bout addin one to my mix of big fellas, hed be in with the following:

1 NGT
1 Florida Gar
1 Ornate Bichir
1 big ol feeder goldfish
1 mormyrus kannume

ive heard theyre super agressive but ive also heard that they dont bother larger rainbowfish, so id like to get some forsthand experiences from u guys......wanna help me out?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Most sites list these fish as overly aggressive. But a breeder kepps his growouts in comm tanks with rainbow fish and other docile fish with no problems. The grunters will argue amongst themselves but, usually leave other tankmates alone (Provided said tankmates can't fit in their mouths).

gruntaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2006
central coast, australia
the best way to put it is that they a nippy and intolerant of others. especially similar looking fish. also any fish that can be picked on will be. and if not given enough room most tankmate will be disposed of. also not all grunters are very aggressive to similar fish sooty and barcoo grunters will attack all different fishes they arent fussed with how they look as long as they get there space.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store