training archer fish

dpool

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2006
michigan
I have a nice brackish setup w/ vines and leaf cover over the top of my tank and I bought 2 Archers. The problem is, I don't think these guys were fed crickets, what is a good way to train them to shoot things of the vines and cover? They don't seem interested in crickets at all, even when they fall in the water.

Fella

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
UK
They don't really need "training". Stick some blood worm on a leaf, and run for cover.

You'll probably have an issue keeping just 2 archers though, they fight aggressively in pairs, and do better in 5's or more, or alone.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
starve them and their instincts will kick in....

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
My former archers used to spit at algae on the glass tank lids during water changes, when the water level is down. :D

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Lower the water level and stick dying crickets to the glass.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Its an instinct, they know how to do it and will do it when they want/have to. No training involved.

Legacy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2006
Hacienda Heights
Archers would rather jump for thier food than spit. If they jump to capture their prey it's almost a sure thing they'll eat the prey. If they spit, they odds are likely that another member of the shoal will actually capture/consume the prey. So in order for them to spit, the food item will need to be outside of their jumping range. That's just a feeding fact that may or may not be useful in your quest for spitting.

The second factor to consider is how far they can actually shoot accurately. A full grown adult, at 10-12", is accurate up to 5'. Do the math and scale down, is it possible you're placing the food too far away?

They'll spit sooner or later. Maybe they're not healthy? You can tell a lot about how archers are feeling based on their coloration. I'd also recommend a varied diet of frozen foods, live insects, and carnivore pellets if possible.

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
Lower the water level in the tank. Stick a brick of dehydrated tubifex worms just out of reach. They will jump for it. Then later you raise the brick a little at a time. Then when they can't jump high enough to reach the food they will shoot water to get it.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
make sure they're in brackish (i'mpretty sure you already know because you posted here.) and are in a big enough tank. when i was young i tried keeping it in a 20 and it was way too smalland never shot.
make sure that the lights are covered cause cold water hitting hot lightbulbs is BAAAD!!!
they also don't seem really interested in crickets at all try different foods. and lower the water as much as possible. the jumping thing is true.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store