weird dragon fish???

cstillwagon14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2007
Indiana
hey guys. i got a dragon fish...don't know why i did cause it sucks... but i was recently cleaning my tank and couldn't find it...so i just figured that it was eaten by my red devil...about two days later i was feeding my fish and there he was just swimming around like normal...my question is this...when i clean my tank i remove all the plants and wood and large rocks so i can use a gravel vac to clean it out with...he wasn't hiding in the small rocks because i sucked them out. i now realize that he was just hiding in my wood log that i take out when i clean my tank...it was out of the tank for at least 30 min. how is it still alive???

cstillwagon14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2007
Indiana
The Prehistoric Dragon Goby is its actuall name...Gobiidae is his family...i can't find anywhere how long he can hold his breath for though.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Have found them on the floor five or six feet from tank and completeky dry, but still wiggling.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
I recently bought a violet goby and he is currently in my feeder tank. He doesnt get bothered by the comets or guppies, probably because he is nearly blind. At first he would only eat opae shrimp but I have recently trained him to eat sinking pellets. He grubs these things like crazy. Mine isnt shy at all, even though they like to bury them selfs. Mine has a favorite spot and seem to be fine where he is currenly.:nilly:

oddball_freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2007
O-Dub
Gobies are a tough fish. I have a jade Goby that was out of his tank for at least 3 hours, before I found him all dried up and stiff. I went to throw the poor little guy away and he started wriggling. I put him in a bowl of water and cleaned the dust and dirt off of him, and he is currently swimming around in my 20L.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I just lost my favorite fish which was my 12" Violet Goby, had it for just under 3 years in my Brackish tank. Still have no idea what caused it's death.

Anyway, I'm unfamiliar with how long they can live out of water but I have found him in the floor completely dry but once I put it back in the water it would slowly recoop. Amazing little guys.. Although now I'm ready to get rid of my brackish tank since I don't have him anymore.. thinking about buying a toadfish instead.

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
well, first of all, u should have never put it with a rd, these things are harmless, they have very small throughts, and cannot swallow large things despite what there mouth tells you, like stated earlier, they have poor vision. instead of pondering why u still have it, either find a proper home for it, or make one yourself. get rid of the aggresive fish, and add a littlr salt. Even if they are eating well in fresh, it is still bad for them to stay there because they will grow terminal red ulsers and die. Either get rid of the goby, or the cichlids, and toss some frozen mysis shrimp in the tank, and do your homework next time. these things are not rare, infact when the they are first caught, the fishers sell them as low as 5-10 cents per dozen. Dragon gobies are not something u only a a few chances to buy, there is always another one.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
My dragons got a good home. Swims around a tank with chinese pagodas......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store