Leoprinus ID?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Okay, you guys know me as the "lungfish guy" but once in a while something crosses my path that I take home just for "WTF's sake" That is the case when I cannot immediately ID the fish.
OK - here goes - Leoprinus sp. 3 inch or 4 inch range. Baby, undoubtedly. Dark grayish silver (Think L. affinis base color) but has a deep black stripe running from midbody to tail. 3 or 4 black spots are between that, and the head. (midbody section) Upper body section from the line to the head has a few faded black markings. (Think baby P Bass with Leoprinus colors)

Lower fins are yellow tinged. No sign of red tinge. No white or yellow on the body.

Guys? (If I had my fish book at school with me, I could look it up, but it's at home.)

Thanks

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I cannot find a pic on google . Anyone post a pic? Thanks

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
That looks to be it, unless if there are other similar ones? Any info on max size on this one and origin? Thanks Rare? It was not "listed" but rather just sitting in a plant tank - probably a "piggyback" with another type of fish

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
That photo looks less and less like mine.
Mine is not as SILVERY, but more grayish, and the photo does not have the indicated yellowish lower fins. Moreover, the photo shows a very "clean" specimen - not much marking on the topside.
This has me feeling that this is a SIMILAR species to nigrotaeniatus.
Moreover, notice in the photo the black line tapers to a thin end at the tail. In mind it develops a "triangle" not a tapered point.

Thanks

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
Can you get a pic of yours?

The halfline leporinus like most fish will have a slight variation amongst specimins and also among adult and juvi colouration. The pic above is not ideal anyway as the fish looks somewhat stressed and a flash used full on which will wash out patterns and colours.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
You are right - I was thinking the same - The fish in the picture is definitely stressed (Notice the frayed fins, etc.) I was just wondering if there was a similar species that came to mind.
I will try to get somebody at school to take a digital photo for me.

In the case that it is a nigrotaeniatus, how big do they get, where are they from, and are they a rare species?

Thanks a lot, Jude

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Many fish species have look-alikes, or some of the more obscure genera have several species that are difficult to distinguish.

For example... at 2 inches, it's impossible (nearly) to tell what kind of P Bass you have.

Similar as in similar to L. nigrotaeniatus, or is that one the only one that looks like it? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store