Jade Goby

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I'm not really sure where to put this but was wondering If anyone has successfully kept a Jade Goby with mildly aggressive cichlids? I just ran across 1 at the LFS and its really the first one I've ever seen around here. I'd love to go back and pick it up but I don't have much experience with them. He's a cute little bugger but I wouldn't want him to end up dead. He's about 4.5 inches and really nice looking. I was thinking about putting him with my Herichthys Pearsi who is really mellow as far as cichlids go.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
My M/F one-footer jades share a tank with a 2 pound LMB. Just don't keep the jades with anything smaller than their large mouth. The jades have no reluctance in sampling their tankmates.

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
But they're not an aggressive fish right? They just will eat anything that will fit into there mouth kind of like Pikes? I heard that they are pretty mellow fish but maybe my info is wrong.

driftwood

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Oddball;667387; said:
They don't ever concern themselves with other large fish. I've never seen them bother any temporary tankmate I've placed with them.
Will they accept flake, pellets, frozen foods like my other fish? I have my tank at 7.4 ph. Is that doable for the Jade? I do have a 180 gallon blackwater tank but the ph on that runs somewhere around 6.2 with a Temp of 84 and has a Red Tabajos pike in it that may eat the Jade so I'm not sure if i would want to chance that tank.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They will accept just about any food but to do best need some vegetable based foods, in the wild they eat quite a bit of hair algae.

Mem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2006
Jersey
Mine started out around the 2.5" mark and are now around 7"+, Raised with african cichlids until they outgrew the tank. Now living in my 120. In the last pic the barbs are 4-5 inches for reference. I did have to seperate my two gobies around the 6 inch mark due to the one inch larger one CONSTANTLY harrassing the smaller one. Hope this helps.

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0021.JPG

DSCF0019.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store