Stupid needle fish won't listen

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
To people who say that they like to be in groups. Well, we tried to introduce him to a buddy. Our original guy is 7 inches long, and the new guy is about 4-5 inches. Guess what happens? New guy instantly ends up in old guy's mouth. Twice.

So now new guy has to go in my community tank with the goldfish, danios, corys, and barbs until he gets bigger (don't worry, I keep the temp at 74-75 degrees. A little cool, yes, but cool is better than dead).

Also, new guy is not eating, and his belly is DEFINATELY empty. He has 3 little feeder rosy reds with him, and isn't touching them. Should I just wait paitently?

Stupid carnivorous fish. *sigh*

Nate77

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2006
Manheim PA
How long have you had it?The last one i had it was a week before he ate.

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
Just got new guy today. I'm a little nervous though, because his belly is really sunken in. If I had to guess, I'd say he didn't eat anything in the 2-4 days he was in the LFS either.

I will wait patiently. Hopefully he will get over his near death experience and chomp down some fishies himself soon.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
FYI, when it comes to schooling or shoaling fish, 2 is the worst number to have. Rule of thumb is keep one or keep 3 or more (some species have 5 as the magic non-aggression number to keep).

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
Yeah, I know that . . . 2 makes a designated dominant and submissive, whereas 3 spreads out the aggression b/t all of them. 3 is in the works, but the LFS didn't have more than one and they come in very seldom.

Ketamine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Factoria, WA
Try a PETSMART they keep them in stock regularly.

phaedraeos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
boston
Ketamine;668638; said:
Try a PETSMART they keep them in stock regularly.
That's where I got them both from :)

addendum: new guys is eating, and is alive and well. I need to move the danios though, they are absolutely terrified of him.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
yah mine didnt eat for a cuple of days eather as for the bitting i heard that thay do that alot kind of to stimulate each other but it sounds like yours was going to eat the other good idea to seperate them

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
Pet Smart?
-I guess that's one thing that is different here in New York or maybe it's just my experience so far. I have never experienced A Pet Smart, Pet Land Discounts, Pet Supplies, or any of those other pet store chains that I would purchase anything live from. Has anyone in New York ever purchased any good fish from one of these chain stores or is this common experience for everyone?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I honestly, honestly don't like when I hear everyone bashing chain stores, because one - they do provide good prices on dry goods, and two - while some of their fish may be unhealthy due to conditions that aren't premium - if YOU, yes, YOU, choose a fish that appears healthy to begin with (Of course this requires knowing what to look for) then that fish should do well for you.
For instance .... If you see a fish that is sick for one reason or other, don't buy it, and I wouldn't recommend buying a fish in the same tank as that one.
A healthy, vigorous, vibrant fish really isn't hard to spot. I have bought fish from chain stores with very good success.

The trick is, pick out healthy fish, AND.... AND... AND... know what to do when you get it home, and you shouldn't have problems.
I have the most beautiful Midas Cichlid, cory cats, goldfish, and have had others, from chain stores.

KEY: Have good water quality at home, and choose wisely, and why would there be a problem with the fish... That's my 2 cents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store