Puffer ID

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
I just got a 4'' puffer. braish but was in FW.
Typical puffer shape, dark green, brown spots and is black on the bottom. Any ID?

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
I meant it in brackish right now. :)
Nothing high.

Fella

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
UK
have you got a photo of it?

If brackish is at 1.005 or above, then the bacteria will be different to if it were in a tank of freshwater, and you would have to bring it down very slowly.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Fella;673870; said:
have you got a photo of it?

If brackish is at 1.005 or above, then the bacteria will be different to if it were in a tank of freshwater, and you would have to bring it down very slowly.
????????

Brackish is 1.001-1.019 IMO

The bacteria will not be different to the fish, ammonia is ammonia. Brackish fish can handle changes in salinity so it isn't that big of a deal to change salinity when you bring them home. Just drip acclimate them like you do with salt. Not all puffers are brackish and it may be a freshwater puffer you bought. If it is, then it won't live long in brackish.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
RadleyMiller;674094; said:
????????
Not all puffers are brackish and it may be a freshwater puffer you bought. If it is, then it won't live long in brackish.
Thats why im trying to ID him. :)

Fella

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2005
UK
RadleyMiller;674094; said:
????????

Brackish is 1.001-1.019 IMO

The bacteria will not be different to the fish, ammonia is ammonia. Brackish fish can handle changes in salinity so it isn't that big of a deal to change salinity when you bring them home. Just drip acclimate them like you do with salt. Not all puffers are brackish and it may be a freshwater puffer you bought. If it is, then it won't live long in brackish.

I agree, that brackish water is anything from 1.001 up to fill seawater. The difference is the bacteria that break down the ammonia and nitrite. up to 1.005 the bacteria is the same as it is in fresh water, above that, the bacteria required is different. This is why you can't clone a freshwater aquarium to a saltwater aquarium, the bacteria required is different, and the freshwater bacteria can't survive in water above 1.005 and vice versa.

The majority of puffers traded are in fact freshwater, but they are all to some extent evolved from sea water so can handle salt reasonably well, however, you want to give it the right conditions and ID'ing it is the first step in doing that.

Can you describe the fish in any more detail? active, dormant? Dark coloured, ligt coloured? eyes on top of head? on the side? etc

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
lol sorry guys my cameras broken. It looks and ats like a big green spotted puffer but has brown spots black stomach and is DARK green. He turns gold when he gets stressed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store