Brackish Question

nohpd521

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
CT
When setting up a brackish set-up, what type of salt are you supposed to use? The freshwater salt used when starting up new FW aquariums to prevent diseases or the marine sea salt (Instant Ocean)?

Thanks

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Remember to be consistent and particular of your salinity levels.. There is a different type of nitrifying bacteria for each salinity level, and too sudden of a shift in salinity can kill off all that good bacteria. So make sure you use a system for water changes and measuring salinity levels.

I killed some brackish puffers, doing too large of a water change and not paying attention to the shift in salinity. After the next feeding, an ammonia spike occured. Ammonia is more toxic in a higher pH, and the brackish tank being at 8.3pH, ended the puffers quickly.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Hmm.. I didn't know that.. I'm wondering if that is what happened to my Violet Goby 2 days ago. I did a 40% water change although my salinity was within .002, I wonder if that would have made a differnce. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why it passed..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store