tankmate ideas

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
hi i have a 55 that has needle fish pictus cats a raphael cat and a poly senegal i was wondering what else if enyting i could put in there i was thinking about red tail barracuda but im not sure if i could put them in with the needles so any info/tankmate ideas are appreciated
thanks in advance

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
anybody what about brown knife fish or some ctenopma or could some kind of dat fit in there

sproett

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2006
Houston
Larger catfish of the Bagridae, Clariidae, and Loricariidae families, South American Cichlasomines, Gobies. My brown knife is awesome and doesn't bother anyone too much. It lives with a pictus cat and they are fine together. It was shy at first but now comes out a lot more. I don't know anything about barracuda so I can't help you there. I would love to have needlefish. What do you think of them?
I suspect a lot of people would say once your fish are at max size (maybe sooner) you'd be overstocked.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
needle fish are pretty cool thay seem shy around fish alot bigger then them, great appetite so far thow all mine will eat is feeders i have a 8 inch one that whent after a medium size feeder "goldfish like 2-3 inches" and was amazed i thought he was going to chok but then it just slipped down it was carazy that goldfish must of been like twice as thick as him!

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
by needle fish do you mean gars?
ctenopoma, er whatever, (i have one but still can't remember how to spell it) they're alright but you need a heavily planted tank and appropriate sized dither fishor you'll rarely see it.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
yah gars or whatever thay are. the tanks planted and soon to have driftwood do you guys now of fish like ctenopma that isnt very demanding. im looking for somithing to occupy the middle preditory is a plus

Ace Nick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
In my 90 i have 2 FW barracudas and a pike cichlid living with 2 Hujeta Gars and 2 pictus catfish....and Hujeta Gars, as far as i know are alot like your needle fish guy?? so this would be a very similar set up and its working very good for me....just make sure the cudas dont go hungry......cuz mine did and suprisingly tryed to eat a gar almost there size.....which isnt something i thoiught a cuda would do being the shy fish they are...but he has recovered and i feed them more often now

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
cool i heard that cudas can be aggresive to other silvery fish so now i think that it should be ok and where does everybody get there cudas i cant find them

YOULOOKLIKEAFISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
VIRGINIA
55 gallon is not suitable for a Acestrorhynchus or RTB. Anything under 125 gallons will create a very sketchy barracuda and stresses the lil guy (125g. still on edge for adult). These fish attack with lightning speed and will injure themselves without room to slow down. Respect the fish by giving it plenty of room to stretch and you'll be able to experience to true nature of the beast.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
How about some Monster loaches!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store