Isalinae

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I have recently picked up 4 of these guys very little is published about them from what I can gather off the net. So I have decided it is my duty to inform the monster fish community of any odd or unexpected behavior I witness

Today will be my first report

I have had the fish roughly a week and they are about 3 inches total length

I was pretty shocked that they have eaten 3 out of the six blackskirt tetras I was using as dithers being that they where about 2 inches and very flat and hard to swallow.

But the thing that really surprised me is that unlike the red cudas they seem to be nipping at fish that they have no hope of eating in the near future. All 3 of the congo tetras I have also as dithers have severely shredded fins

I have a feeling these little guys may be more aggressive than their bigger cousins I will try to update as things progress

Overall I really like these fish and would recommend them but IF I had it to do over again I may reconsider tank mates ;)

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Nice! I rarely see Acestrorhynchus isalinae available. A very striking looking species of dwarf Acestro, IMO.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I have one - about the same size. LOVE IT!!!!! Have not tried tankmates yet, other than a baby SA lungfish, which was not bothered. I moved him out to be with the other SA lungs for companionship, so right now the isalinae is growing out by herself (sex unknown) with 14 or 15 Mystery Snails. REALLY COOL setup. This is NOT a shy fish at all which is surprising for a tiny baby predatory fish. I must ask, where did you get yours? I am looking to get more.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I just lucked out my LFS thought they where just small red tails all four for 90 bucks :headbang2 Keep me updated on how your fish is doing :)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
The one I had years back had only a bristle nose for a tankmate and never bothered it.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
well I am down to 2 black skirts and they are still nipping at my congos I think they might just dislike active schooling fish :confused:

I have started feeding them rosies instead of guppies hoping that the larger meals will slow the attrition in the tank for a while

Mine do not bother my bala shark irridescent shark or my rhino pleco just the schooling tetras very weird

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I just added a pair of small Kribensis in my isalinae tank, and she ignores them completely. She is up to 3 guppies per meal, instead of 2... Despite what I have heard about isalinae being slow growers, she seems to be growing already, after 2 weeks of having her. (No, I don't know her sex)

And... if you get tired of your other fish being harrassed, may I have dibs on yours, if you decide to move any of them on?

Thanks, Jude

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
mine seem to be growing already too, The other fish are just fodder any way but If I ever decide to sell them your first on the list ;)

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
All of you who have isalinae, please document every chance you getr, there might be 2 species being reorted as one, the small, max4" and themlarge, max 16". we, and the rest of the world, need to know.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Well - it would be very helpful if you clarified the "2 being repoted as one" statement you just made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store