ANOTHER Leoprinus ID :)

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Well... My unexpected Leoprinus moralesi apparently has caused a turn in events, as I came home with another Leoprinus today... (The moralesi, by the way, is a pig, quite aggressive, and has a lot of personality and is not shy at all. Very Cichlid-like in behavior - all over the tank, etc.)

Well... here goes... another one for you guys... Sorry, another no-picture deal...
In the store he looked an ugly gray, period. Typical L. fasciatus shape. Once in my tank, he has colored up some. He has a YELLOW throat (Leoprinus fasciatus has a red throat.) This fish is at the 5 inche mark. His new colors? Eight black bands, including the ones in the eye region and the one at the tail. The black bands are WIDE - 1/2 inch in width. The other color is a washed out yellowish gray to a silvery gray.

My guess is that the yellow throat will be the main ID point. Fins have no coloration, except for an overall light gray appearance. The lower fins, or rather the main spine in each of the lower fin, has a yellow iridescence, which is limited to the spine itself.
This fish came from the store in Gaithersburg - Tropical Fish World (I think that is the name of it) I noticed a post somewhere on here from an employee of that store, so perhaps that person will know some background on this fish?

As for the ID - think of a VERY UGLY L. fasciatus, with a yellow throat. Best of luck to you, and hope we can get this thing ID'd. Thanks, Jude

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
That's not it... I thought that the light bands would become lighter, but no - His "Happy colors" (which are his normal colors) are gray on gray/silver banding. Almost no contrast at all.
Thanks though

In fact, when looking at him casually, what you see is basically a dark silvery gray fish with a yellow chin. And once again, those are his normal colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store