Puffer and a Dragon Goby?

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Anyhow, I ended up with a 30 gallon brackish set up. I used to have green spotted puffers in the past and know how aggressive they can be. My old tank had a pair that got along well and hunted with one another, only because I stared putting live feeders in the tank for other fish. From then, they would take over the tank and mess with or eat all the other fish :(. Anyhow, this only happened after I put one puffer with another one I had just got. It just so happened they were compatable with each other. Now, I have a new set up and have a violet goby thats been in the tank for a while. I added the green spotted puffer in the tank last week. It seems that the puffer is scared of the goby due to its size and keeps on opposite side of the tank. The little guys eating like a champ though so I dont think it bugs him that much. I plan on feeding no live food, because then they learn the taste and become killers.So, anyhow....I was wondering if you think its a bad idea to put these two together. I love my violet goby and dont want the puffer to start nipping or even worse eat it, due to the goby not being able to see all that well. Hopefully, it will be peaceful and the goby's size alone will keep the puffer at bay. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

:popcorn:

puff.jpg

goby.jpg

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Good luck, we tried dragons in with dwarf puffers and they got chewed up pretty bad.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Well, my puffer is eating freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms and the goby eats the bloodworm left overs and sinking pellets. In my experience with puffers I think that if you dont train them to be carnivores them usually leave the tankmates alone....well, thats just my experience. They seem to be getting along now but I am keeping an eye on my puffer. Hope things dont change.:D

koff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
lennox ca
i also have a green spoted puffer with a violet goby .....
there doing ok just that the puffer gets most of the food ......

darthbravo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Lake Elsinore, CA
I have a Large Green Spotted Puffer with a Violet Dragon Goby in my brackish tank. No trouble what so ever but the tank is 90 gallons.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Nice, what other brackish specimens are compatable? Being that you have other besides the green spotted puffer and a violet goby in your tank. Anyhow thanks!:D

darthbravo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2007
Lake Elsinore, CA
In my brackish i have a school of Monos and Archers, Marble Goby, Freshwater Lionfish, Snowflake eel.:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store