Ctenopoma acutirostre feeding problem

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
I have a 1.5" African Climbing Perch in my planted 33 community. I've read that they won't accept flakes and pellets and I've read that they won't.

Mine won't.

He's a spitter. I give all my fish in all my tanks frozen blood worms and brine shrimp daily. But he's not yet big enough or aggressive enough to compete with the danios, female bettas, and glow light tetras for the frozen foods. He gets some, but not enough. I've been holding the frozen food in my hand in the water and he's been eating out of my hand. Which is ****ing awesome. But i can't keep it up.

I picked up some brineshrimp eggs and I'm hatching them now. Moving him is not an option right now. But I intend on setting up a 40 gallon african tank for him and some congo tetras/butterfly fish once he gets a few inches under his belt. Can anybody offer advice? Also, how long do live brineshrimp live in freshwater?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Well, if he's spitting, it means he is going for the food, at any rate. Give him a few days and let him get used to the food. Sounds like a wrong choice for an active tank. They do need a "quiet" tank.

Oxyeleotris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Scotland
I currently have eight approx 2" Microctenopoma ansorgii. Quite diferent from your C. acutirostre I know but they have the same precise, ambush predator nature. As has already been stated this type of fish definitely benefits from a quiet aquarium. Mine are housed on their own in a 5' aquarium. Their staple diet is Spectrum Thera +A 1mm sinking pellets. They also get frozen bloodworm and they will take any small live foods. They even take a second or two to line up the pellets! so having boisterous greedy tank mates with this type of fish doesn't help.

AtomixIGN

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2006
Pohatcong, NJ
I've been hand feeding since I made this making sure he gets loaded on bloodworms. His personality has really come out and he's no longer being bullied by the smaller fish during feeding time. He's accepting hikari microwafers and he's topfed on Microwafers a couple of times.

I supplement my Angels with Chiclid Bio Gold mini pellets and I have a particular female betta who LOVES them. They're way too big for her to eat but she grabs one and swims around with it and manages to bite pieces off of it until she gets bored and lets go our finally gets the whole thing down.

This morning my Ctenopoma robbed her of her big floating pellet and swallowed it down whole.

I have no doubt he'll be hitting sinking carnivore by the end of the summer. And yes... In his own tank.

amesbien

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
The Moon
My C. acutirostre will come to the front of the tank about 2 minutes into feeding the other fish (danios ect.) He will wait for me to get out the freeze dried krill or the mysis shrimp and will gobble up as many as he can. They really seem to love the mysis though, he tears right into them.

masone

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
Cairns, Australia
I've got a pair in a 6ft with a pair of pantodons, a delhezi and some bigger tetras. They were shy at first but now they are the first to the food and even snatch stuff out the bichirs mouth. I feed them bloodworm, freeze dried krill, frozen shrimp, crickets and pellets. I throw about 20 neons in there every now and then as a treat. Just put my 4" jardini in there so hopefully he learns from them to eat pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store