isalinae update

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Well it is a new week I have lost both of the rosbora that where in there as dithers/target fish

This is not too surprising but what is surprising is that both fish where eaten whole but their tail was sliced clean off here is a pic :confused: :screwy:

They have also started to take shots at my bala shark and 2 very big black skirt tetras. I can officially say that these guys will attack and kill things they can not swallow whole.

The bala shark is missing half his scales and his head is bleeding with an open wound

The black skirt is in slightly better shape with just some teeth marks for now

Here is the last look at my little rosbora :(

Still seem to be growing quickly and eating ALOT the 4 of them will now eat 20 rosies within 12 hours or so.

will update in a week or so :)

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Cool update - Mine has graduated from guppies, to Rosies - but the problem is that guppies are so much easier to keep in holding tanks - Rosies are very prone to suffocating in large numbers, unlike guppies... My isalinae eats one large rosy a day now. Very rapid growth. Pretty much tripled in size, it seems, in the last month, I believe. (girth too)
Your fish's aggressive tendencies are surprising to me. Mine will eat one rosy in the morning, and then ignore the others completely until the next day. He also leaves cory cats alone. Maybe it's because yours are in a group? Do they fight amongst themselves?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Just for the record - she doesn't bother mystery snails either LOL

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
No aggression to each other yet they hang out in the same corner

It has been a very surprising experience for me so far I was expecting rather passive slow growing fish

I feel bad for my poor dither fish neither of us saw it coming:(

I am still trying to figure out how or even why they removed both rosboras tails :confused:

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Some other fish (Or at least Orcas do, anyway) do the tail thing, to prevent prey from escaping... Maybe they have a definitive feeding strategy - to nip tails off of as many prey as possible, and then come back later to eat them at leisure?

I, too, was expecting slow growth - they just look like skinny toothpicks LOL (Well, not anymore!) I'll be curious to hear if any aggression develops between yours. In your photo, it appears as though the Congo tetra may be in trouble very soon. Ideal shape...
What I really like is, is that they are not shy, so I am not looking at an empty tank all day long.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
they ate the bala shark last night then today when i got home from work they had coughed up his tail they are definitely swallowing the tail then coughing it back up.

They also ate the male sword tail

these fish are always hungry I can not overfeed enough to save my dithers
:(

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
just pickup one few days ago,considering to get another , i think they do better as a pair

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store