Freshwater shark?

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
Does anyone knowdoes anyone know about a real freshwater shark? I'm not talking about these make-believe sharks that are in actuality catfish, I'm talking about the real freshwater shark. Do they even exist?

Aribenlaw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2006
Tempe, Arizona
There are many sharks which can tolerate brackish to nearly fresh. The Bull shark is the most common example having been found considerable distances up rivers. Recorded attacks in lakes and ponds connected to large rivers like the Mississippi have confirmed this. A good number of sharks also breed in brackish mangrove estuaries leaving the young in the area to develop. As they age they move out into open water. I hope this at least gives you a few clues, sorry I can't help more.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Bull sharks have been known to occur in FW, including, but not limited to, Lake Nicaragua in Central America, the Zambezi River in South Africa, and the Ganges River in India.

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
there are not any true 100% FW sharks to my knowledge. I know the bull shark has been found far upriver, but it's not really a true FW shark as it can live in BW and SW too. sadly, it's pretty much impossible to keeep a bull shark in captivity due to the size they can reach and their highly aggressive temperment.

Cappuccino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2007
New York
A Bull Shark?

Sounds interesting! How big do they get and how small can I purchase a baby? would love to give it a try.

KJP

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Cincinnati
2 words...no chance :banhim:

fishcatch22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
anchorage, alaska
Cappuccino;696390; said:
A Bull Shark?

Sounds interesting! How big do they get and how small can I purchase a baby? would love to give it a try.
notice what I said before:
sadly, it's pretty much impossible to keeep a bull shark in captivity due to the size they can reach and their highly aggressive temperment.
they can get anywhere between 7 and 11 feet long and are very, very aggressive. if you screw up it could bite your arm off.

I also found out there are true FW sharks, good luck ever finding one.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_shark

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
If you want to keep a shark... just go for a full on saltwater tank and get like a nurse shark... they stay pretty small and they are oppertunistic feeders.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
mb_barton;697359; said:
If you want to keep a shark... just go for a full on saltwater tank and get like a nurse shark... they stay pretty small and they are oppertunistic feeders.
Id start with a banded bamboo or Wobbegong shark before jumping into getting a 14 Nurse shark... There maximum is right around that length... But i suggest getting a bamboo shark, then a wobbegong, and if you dont kill those Upgrade your tank to a couple thousand gallons and get a Nurse shark, hell i'd like to see your pics. Wish you luck, but stay away from a FW shark, SW is where its at, "if u want to live" Schwarzenegger

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
mb_barton;697359; said:

Id start with a banded bamboo or Wobbegong shark before jumping into getting a 11-14 foot MAX Nurse shark... There maximum is right around that length... But i suggest getting a bamboo shark, then a wobbegong, and if you dont kill those Upgrade your tank to a couple thousand gallons and get a Nurse shark, hell i'd like to see your pics. Wish you luck, but stay away from a FW shark, SW is where its at, "if u want to live" Schwarzenegger

Wow howd i pull that off?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store