PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood and a pressure washer.

Idealconcepts
02-22-2007, 5:19 PM
Ok, question regarding using a new pressure washer to clean a large piece of drift wood I got at Driftwood beach last weekend. The pressure washer has only been used once to rinse off our house, no chemicals have been used and I bought it brand new. I want to use the pressure washer to remove the sand, loose pieces of wood, and any gunk. After using the pressure washer I plan on soaking the water in the kiddie pool we used for the dog, for few days with dechlorinated water then rinse it off again with the garden hose. I canít boil the wood because its about 3ft to about 3.5ft long and as thick as my thigh (Iím 5í11 and 175lbs). I still need to figure out which tank it will go in, I have a 180gal that I am building a stand for or it could be placed in an already set up 300gal. Iíll take a pic of the wood and post it.
:)

Gr8KarmaSF
02-22-2007, 5:21 PM
sounds like a gud plan thou after the soaking you might want to pressure wash it again instead of rinsing with a garden hose just to be sure...

cant wait for the pic!

bill hundt
02-22-2007, 9:48 PM
I read some place on how to treat wild wood (I made that up:screwy: ), wood not treated. They said to soak in bleach water solution for a day . wash resoak in water. Do not pressure wash at this time , you will drive bleach in to wood. They said the bleach would kill off anything live on the wood. If you want you can resoak in treated water with heavy declortion added , ie; seachems prime or what ever brand you use. If the wood is covered in junk you can treat it twice.

gomezladdams
02-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Pressure washer is a great idea.I know someone on this forum posted about doing that awhile back.Id put bleach or a salt solution in the pool for the soaking to kill anything in the wood

Clyde
02-23-2007, 12:44 AM
A question for thoose of you that seem to be in the know, why the emphasis on soaking in de-clorinated water? Meaning isnt the Clorine in water as volatile as bleach, and just disipate over time?

IITUFFTOBEATII
02-23-2007, 1:08 AM
A question for thoose of you that seem to be in the know, why the emphasis on soaking in de-clorinated water? Meaning isnt the Clorine in water as volatile as bleach, and just disipate over time?

you're right, there is no reason to use de-chlorinated water

Boydo
02-23-2007, 9:28 AM
I'd soak it in salt aswell with tap water as the chorline will help kill parasites, bacteria, and bugs. I do this for a couple days to ensure everything get killed. The pressure washer works great, I do it to all my driftwood it makes it look better too.

HarleyK
02-23-2007, 9:46 AM
Ok, question regarding using a new pressure washer to clean a large piece of drift wood

What's your question?:D

Idealconcepts
02-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Sorry HarleyK, forgot the question mark. Thanks everyone for responding.

GJC
02-26-2007, 12:39 AM
I like to find some wood and sand blast it, after it's dry. Looks smooth and sexy :grinno:

Idealconcepts
03-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Here are a couple pics of the drift wood. Pressure washed it a couple times an now sitting in the doggy pool with some salt.

cbfreder
03-21-2007, 9:24 AM
That is a really nice wood. How much salt did you add? I'd go nuts with the salt, really pickle the wood. That'll kill anything. Then you can soak the wood in fresh water. The salt should come out really quickly so you only need a day or so rinse.

Idealconcepts
03-21-2007, 2:33 PM
I added only a hand full because I haven't opened up a new bag of salt yet and we were out of bleach. I'll probably pressure was it a couple times after it sits in just regular water.

HarleyK
03-21-2007, 2:49 PM
Howdy,

That is great-looking wood :thumbsup:

A handfull of salt won't do anything in a doggy pool. I added at least 50 oz per bath tub. Power washing the wood afterwards will not remove the salt that entered the wood, only soaking it in daily fresh water will give it the final treatment for using it in your tank safely.

Good luck, and post pics of this beauty in your tank :thumbsup:

HarleyK

CTU2fan
03-21-2007, 3:16 PM
Can you treat a regular wood like that & use it, or is it best to stick with driftwood? I'd like to be able to get hold of some decent wood, and buying it at LFS prices is ridiculous...

HarleyK
03-21-2007, 3:44 PM
Can you treat a regular wood like that & use it, or is it best to stick with driftwood? I'd like to be able to get hold of some decent wood, and buying it at LFS prices is ridiculous...

You cannot use fresh wood. And you do not have to buy drift wood in a store ... just check your local creek.
:)
HarleyK

Idealconcepts
03-21-2007, 4:24 PM
That is what I was thinking HarleyK, luckily I have a nice big 50lb bag of water softner salt (the rock type stuff) that I use for the water softner and my tanks.

CTU2fan - I got this piece of driftwood from the beach (Driftwood beach near Searanch, just north of San Fran). I've only bought 2 pieces of driftwood, all the other pieces, this one in the pic and the two other ones I have gotten from Searanch. As HarleyK mentioned you can get wood almost anywhere.

CTU2fan
03-26-2007, 3:02 PM
Thanks, will have to start looking around. Probably not getting the bigger tank until next winter so I have plenty of time...