Driftwood and a pressure washer.

Idealconcepts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Moved
Ok, question regarding using a new pressure washer to clean a large piece of drift wood I got at Driftwood beach last weekend. The pressure washer has only been used once to rinse off our house, no chemicals have been used and I bought it brand new. I want to use the pressure washer to remove the sand, loose pieces of wood, and any gunk. After using the pressure washer I plan on soaking the water in the kiddie pool we used for the dog, for few days with dechlorinated water then rinse it off again with the garden hose. I can’t boil the wood because its about 3ft to about 3.5ft long and as thick as my thigh (I’m 5’11 and 175lbs). I still need to figure out which tank it will go in, I have a 180gal that I am building a stand for or it could be placed in an already set up 300gal. I’ll take a pic of the wood and post it.
:)

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
sounds like a gud plan thou after the soaking you might want to pressure wash it again instead of rinsing with a garden hose just to be sure...

cant wait for the pic!

bill hundt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
I read some place on how to treat wild wood (I made that up:screwy: ), wood not treated. They said to soak in bleach water solution for a day . wash resoak in water. Do not pressure wash at this time , you will drive bleach in to wood. They said the bleach would kill off anything live on the wood. If you want you can resoak in treated water with heavy declortion added , ie; seachems prime or what ever brand you use. If the wood is covered in junk you can treat it twice.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Pressure washer is a great idea.I know someone on this forum posted about doing that awhile back.Id put bleach or a salt solution in the pool for the soaking to kill anything in the wood

Clyde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2007
New York
A question for thoose of you that seem to be in the know, why the emphasis on soaking in de-clorinated water? Meaning isnt the Clorine in water as volatile as bleach, and just disipate over time?

IITUFFTOBEATII

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2006
At my desk
Clyde;714315; said:
A question for thoose of you that seem to be in the know, why the emphasis on soaking in de-clorinated water? Meaning isnt the Clorine in water as volatile as bleach, and just disipate over time?
you're right, there is no reason to use de-chlorinated water

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
I'd soak it in salt aswell with tap water as the chorline will help kill parasites, bacteria, and bugs. I do this for a couple days to ensure everything get killed. The pressure washer works great, I do it to all my driftwood it makes it look better too.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Idealconcepts;713344; said:
Ok, question regarding using a new pressure washer to clean a large piece of drift wood
What's your question?:D

Idealconcepts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Moved
Sorry HarleyK, forgot the question mark. Thanks everyone for responding.

GJC

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
San Diego
I like to find some wood and sand blast it, after it's dry. Looks smooth and sexy :grinno:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store