Once again about the unidentified barb

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
This guy is driving me crazy - This has to be my 100th post about this guy - but the only reason I'm re-posting is because I just noticed that he is a half inch longer than he was last week.

This brings up a potential concern... what is he, so I can figure out his max size. I was thinking approx 6-8 inches, now I'm thinking he might be one of the monster barbs... help me out?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Sorry - no camera - but once again, here is the description...

Now 3 inch or 3 1/2 inches - Grew a half inch in the last week.

Body is colored exactly like a Checker (Checkerboard) Barb - silver (Not highly reflective, but somewhat) with black between all the scales. Elongated diamond shape. Dorsal fin is exactly that of a Tinfoil Barb - red tipped in black. From a distance of a few feet, you can see a grayish stripe from eye to tail, more like a shadow. Red eyes.
Surprisingly aggressive towards all tankmates. (ex: not backing off from Cichlid advances.)

HiGhTiMeZ

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Montreal, Canada
www.friendster.com
well its hard to imagine the fish with ur description... we dont even know if its really a barb...

why dont u go research google on "barbs" images. that would probably help u more than posting 100 posts without a picture!

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
santoury;713444; said:
Sorry - no camera - but once again, here is the description...

Now 3 inch or 3 1/2 inches - Grew a half inch in the last week.

Body is colored exactly like a Checker (Checkerboard) Barb - silver (Not highly reflective, but somewhat) with black between all the scales. Elongated diamond shape. Dorsal fin is exactly that of a Tinfoil Barb - red tipped in black. From a distance of a few feet, you can see a grayish stripe from eye to tail, more like a shadow. Red eyes.
Surprisingly aggressive towards all tankmates. (ex: not backing off from Cichlid advances.)
BEt this barb wouldnt last long with a Nice hungry Dat.. i dont particularly get the Barb Hype..

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
You think you're so cool with your Dats eh? Cute ploy, but it won't float here, literally. NONE of your hundreds-of-dollars Dats (er... do you even have any that would qualify?) would last a half minute with any one of my larger annectens lungs. Kid, let's not start a "my fish is bigger than yours" O K bud? :WHOA:

Google is full of chaff, so finding a particular fish is next to impossible when searching by species. It is quite clearly a barb, or a very close barb relative.

How about helping out with your atlases? Mine are back at home.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I highly doubt it being a hybrid. This is relatively to very rare with cyprinids. It also is not an albino. When I say "red eyes" I mean black and red ringed (Like a Midas / Red Devil) Moreover my description of the dorsal fin was a reference to what it looks like, not a suggestion that it might be a tinfoil hybrid.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Read my description. Take the checker barb's overall coloration, and apply it to a larger fish, and add a tinfoil barb's dorsal fin, and that's what I have.

This fish is also more streamlined / elongate / pointy nosed than the checker barb.

But, that appearance with the black outlining the scales is what I am referring to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store