brackish water changes

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
Ok, how do you do waterchanges/water vacs. in a large brackish tank. i just changed over from a 55 brackish to a 125 and am thinking how this is going to work. With the 55, i take a 10 gal tub and get it set up and mixing while i start to vac. After im done with the vac, i have sucked out between 1/4 to 1/2 the water out. Now, i take the 10 gal tub and bring it to the tank, then with a gal. jug, start to bail it in. I repeat this till its full.
Now, what im thinking is there has to be a better way if im to do this with a 125. Im thinking of getting a 30 gal trash can and putting it next to the tank before i do the vac. Then fill it, add salt, mix with a paddle,start to vac. After im done, use my gal. jug and start to bail. Still sounds like a lot.
How do you all do it with a brackish tank 125. or larger...

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
I have a 100 gallon brackish. I use a 2- 32 gallon trash barrels from Lowes and I fill one barrel with water while adding my prime conditioner. Then after I filll it to where the inside handle molds are, I drop in a mag 12 turn it on then add my ph buffer then slowly pour n the salt. If you fill it like I do you will use a total of 8 cups of Instant Ocean to make 1.010 to 1.012 specific gravity of brackish water. I let the mag drive run for about a half hour, testing 3 times during that time, then I take my 1" o.d. hose and I use a pvc barb fittin, elbow and pvc pipe with a cap on the end, then I drill holes lik a spray bar. I set that in the tank and fire up the mag drive again.

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
oh ok, so after i mix the salt, i could just use my canister and put the intake in the trash can and pump it into the tank? wouldn't that work?

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Yes, I have done that with my XP3 in the past, just make sure it re-primes after. Also, you may get a bunch of crap blowing into the tank that was in your plumbing from jarring it loose, but it will work. I like the mag drive because it gets the job done faster and the puffer likes playing in the current it makes.

xstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2006
east tennessee
i was looking at the pumps and was wondering. Do i have to have a mag 12? Could i go a little cheeper beings its just to mix the salt and pump it back in to the tank? Im not that pressed for time when doing water changes.
I was looking at this one for 1/2 the price as a 12?
Supreme Mag Drive 5

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store