brackish salt setup

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
how do you setup a brackish tank and maintane it... how much salt what salt and how often do you add salt. can you use a hydrometer?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Okay, it has been a while and while I probably do it wrong it worked for me. I kept local brackish water fish and I know that salinity preferences are available for each aquarium fish. Brackish water can range from sd 1.005 to sd 1.025 (sea water), I kept my tanks at sd 1.008-1.010 or 1.2-1.28 oz./gallon. Offhand my memory says that is 6-8 tsp a gallon but if I were you I would double check. I did have a cheap floating hydrometer.
Once the tank is set up you dont generally add salt except when you do water changes, I would mix the water/salt in buckets then add it to the tank, or just fetch a few buckets from the estuary where the fish came from.
When you are just adding water to replace that lost to evaporation do not add salt.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Brackish water tanks are one of the hardest to keep.. There is no de-nitrifying stages, and it is also hard to keep live plants in Brackish water. Many of the Brackish water fish are very messy, and require heavy water changes, which is not easy with Brackish water.

Keep in mind you must be very tedious about your salinity levels, as nitrifying bacteria will only thrive at the same salinity. If you have a sudden shift in salinity, all of your beneficial bacteria will die off, causing an Ammonia spike.

Brackish Water is a term that means many ranges for most people.. Anywhere from 1.002-1.020 is Brackish, IMO. 1.020-1.025 is Saltwater range, as most fish can tolerate the lower salinity, but true seawater is 1.025.

You can buy a cheap hydrometer that goes all the way down to 1.001, I believe it is made by Kent.

Only use Marine Salt. Other types of salt will not create a 'brackish' environment.

Do yourself a favor and buy some 18g rubbermaid bins from Wal-Mart. The key to mixing Salt is to be consistant. The 18g rubbermaids will hold about 15g of water, so you can make a 'per 5g' measurement using this method. I often would just use 1 cup of marine salt, per 5 gallons... So 3 cups for a 15g rubbermaid. I would always pre-mix the brackish water, and have it prepared for water changes. Regardless of what salinity you choose, be consistant.

Brackish Water is sensative, so feed lightly. It is easy to overfeed some of the messier brackish fish, such as Green Spotted Puffers or Silvertip Sharks. When your Nitrates start to get high in Brackish, you can get some very bad algae blooms with the hardness in the water. Make sure you don't use intense lighting, unless you find some plants that will grow well in brackish water.

Make sure you over-filtrate.. It is always nice to give yourself a 'cushion' incase things go wrong. Always be very careful that nothing is decaying in a brackish tank, because it will cause major problems.

Use Mollys to cycle your brackish water.. They are brackish fish with a small bio-load.. Most of the larger brackish fish put off alot of ammonia, or are messy eaters.. They can also be sensative to Ammonia poisoning..

Another thing to remember, Ammonia is more toxic the higher the pH. With the hardness of the brackish water, your pH will be around 8.2-8.5, which makes Ammonia very lethal. That is why it is important to have a well cycled tank, and use inexpensive fish to FULLY cycle it. Always add fish SLOWLY in a brackish tank, so the nitrifying bacteria level can build up to the new amount of bio-load in the tank.

Hope that helps guys!
I have to go, but if I think of anything else, I'll be back!

Miles

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
i used freshwater salt in my piranha tank they seem fine but what can i do to start using marine salt. do i need to drain the tank and start over or can i do water changes to convert it over?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Thanks Miles, as I said it has been a while, I had forgotten moving the tank to a dark corner because of algae blooms. I was lucky the times I kept small brackish tanks in that when I did I was always just a few miles from where I caught the fish/shrimp and could always just go get more water.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
boredcpl said:
i used freshwater salt in my piranha tank they seem fine but what can i do to start using marine salt. do i need to drain the tank and start over or can i do water changes to convert it over?
You can do this.. obviously with no P's in it right? Just make sure you only change the salinity about .002 each week, to let the old nitrifying bacteria die off, and letting the new salinity of bacteria establish itself. This is the best way if you have brackish fish that are in freshwater, and you're trying to convert them. If not, Drain the tank, mix all your salt, and start the tank over at your new desired salinity.. Don't forget to cycle ;)

Miles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store