Leporinus variant?

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Still no luck identifying this stupid Leporinus! I am starting to question something here...

Has anyone ever come across an AXANTHIC version of a Leporinus fasciatus? He is gray and silver banded, his throat is turning red (It was yellowish) He's about 6 inches. The bands are wide, and unsplit/unbroken for the most part.

Does such a thing as an axanthic Leporinus exist? I'll try my best to get a photo on here....

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Here you go!

UPDATE: Once, and only once, he changed colors - HE became silvery gray (that you see here) with translucent whitish soapy bars. Still not a yellow. But that was only one evening... Crazy, crazy fish! I have a Lep. fasciatus and they are like night and day - the L. fasciatus is ALWAYS bumblebee colored. Bright yellow on black... Any thoughts - Is there an elusive fasciatus looking fish, or could he be an axanthic or something like that?

Photo 14.jpg

Photo 15.jpg

Photo 16.jpg

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Also, I don't know if this is significant, but if you look at his anal fin, it has black marbling on it - that isn't just the pic, those ARE there, so that might offer some help in ID'ing him.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
That looks much more similar... My only question is... My fish is almost ALWAYS without the barring... and that's his "happy" coloration. Is there another look-alike for desmotes that spends most of its life gray? Getting there, thanks to Oddball!

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I also notice that most of the desmotes photos show a colorless chin - Check out the color on mine's throat area.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Thank you for identifying this guy!!! Much obliged

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store