Rhaphiodon Vulpinus

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Can anyone here tell me how large these are capable of getting in a home aquarium?

What is the biggest anyone has grown?

Can anyone share any growth rate info for specimens ABOVE 8 inches?

I have a pair that show no signs of slowing down. Obtained at 3 inches larger one is now pushing 9 in a little over a year. I would like to know what the future holds in store as far as growth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunatly I am having trouble finding info on succcessfull raising of these things over 8 inches.

Someone out there has had to have grown some of these things to monster size. :headbang2

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So is there really nobody keeping these fish? Someone has to have atleast heard of people growing these things big........

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
i looked it up. the thing is, many people keep them here. search for payara for better results. i am actually considering picing up one of these hunters myself. there are 4 different species of the payara. the smallest type grows to (but can exseed) 12" the largest can get around 3 feet. Neo has seen ones over 2 feet. heres one

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57394

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
to answer your questions, you'll need to answer ours. how bigs the tank, what is the exact speicies, what do you feed them and pics would help too

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
mudskipper;728142; said:
to answer your questions, you'll need to answer ours. how bigs the tank, what is the exact speicies, what do you feed them and pics would help too
The tank is a 125. They are being moved to a 180 this week. After they outgrow that they will probobly go into a homemade tank that will be made this summer. There is just 3 aq 110s on the 125 right now for filters. Still working on the overflows for the wet/dry. They are kept with 3 retic rays and a silver dat. Waterchanges every 4-7 days. Exact species is the name of this thread. Over 1/2 thier diet is freeze dried krill. They also get qt'd rosies, market shrimp, and nightcrawlers. I'll try to get a pic of them.

I am fimiliar with the different species of payara. I have kept all the different kinds that I can get a hold of (had 1 tat and currently 2 Scombs with an Armatus on the way). Problem is there is a lot more info available on the Hydrolycus species. These are not hydros. And I am not finding crap for info on them. If they really grow to over a meter than shouldn't there be atleast 1 person out there to have kept one to 2 feet or larger?

Look, the reason I am looking for more info is because if these fish get huge (over a meter) and they are available at many different places (not hard to find) Then obviously if there are no huge ones out there in aquariums then there are mistakes being made in the keeping of these things. I don't want to make the same mistakes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store