Leporinus species - Rarity???

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
How rare are the lesser seen (Or never seen?) Leporinus species?

I have found two Leporinus as "contaminants" my L. moralesi and my L. desmotes. I am wondering how rare these guys are, and if any others are out there?

I'm really lovin' these guys. Now I am on a quest to get more weird Lep's.

riverfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2007
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Don't know about the rarity but I have a fasciatus which I KNOW isint rare but i enjoy the heck out of watching him. Also have another small headstander called an anostamus ternetzi. Im trying to attempt to collect headstanders in general but not many places order then in. Post pics of yours man!

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Hey bro
Here are some pics - sorry it took so long for me to find this thread again! They are awesome aren't they? Have an anostomus anostomus myself and love it as well.
Pictures are of my Leporinus desmotes and L. moralesi.

There is only ONE, yes ONLY ONE photo of a L. moralesi on google, and so far, nobody else has ever heard of one. I am wondering if it's the only one in the country....
There are accounts of two other desmotes thus far, but at any rate, both are very rare, it seems. I also love my 2 1/2 inch fasciatus. The best aren't they? (Last two are the moralesi.)

Photo 6.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 8.jpg

Photo 45.jpg

Photo 46.jpg

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Hey - No I haven't - do tell!

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
santoury, I REALLY like that L. moralesi.

I'm definitely curious about that L. brunei as well.

Here's a couple of pics of my L. desmotes:

IMG_0090.jpg

DSCF0972.JPG

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
Well I posted those pics bass ackwards. The first pic is actually recent after a MAJOR growth spurt. This guy absolutely loves bloodworms. I took the first pic when I was feeding because that's about the only time I see him. The second pic is when I first bought him.

Can you tell I have upgraded cameras since then?? :D

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
I LOVED the moralesi - DAMNED LOST IT in the move!!!!! Probably irreplacable. ARGH!!! That's a purdy desmotes!!!

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
santoury;911404; said:
I LOVED the moralesi - DAMNED LOST IT in the move!!!!! Probably irreplacable. ARGH!!! That's a purdy desmotes!!!
Oh...that's too bad. Sorry to hear that man. :(

Thanks for the compliment on the desmotes...he's definitely getting bigger everyday.

If I see any moralesi, or anything rare like that, I'll be sure you let you know. Actually, you know who has some cool stuff like that from time to time is Zoo Creatures in Plaistow, NH. That's where I got my marbled headstander. They had some real nice anostomus for pretty short money...I think $20. If you go to Premium Pets, Zoo Creatures isn't that far at all...Plaistow, NH borders Haverhill, MA.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store