hampala sharks?

adalas226

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2007
Western Ny
so i went to the fish place and came home with a 7ish inch hampala shark and i didnt plan it :eek: but he was very cool looking.. (when i got home i looked it up online and found out its also called a barb or perch).. but on this site and others.. i have a hard time finding info on them... i searched the forum and not much came up so hopefully im not repeating a thread...

anyway, is there anything i should know about this fish.. I got some krill? krull? for food... never used these as feeders before dont know how much and how often for him..and i have him in the tank with 2 common oscars who are eating cichlid pellets... and small fish every so often... so if anyone has anything at all to say about the hampala shark... leave it here.. thanks..

TicaL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
Tempe, AZ

adalas226

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2007
Western Ny
haha! yes i did and ya thats him... SMALL WORLD! .. why'd u get rid of him.. Nt fish place is the best!... what other fish places are around here besides lockport petstore and markhiems?

phoenixx

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2006
USA
haha small world indeed. All I can say is GREAT FISH! but had to make room for my growing Mangrove Jack.

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
be aware that there are two kinds ( or more) of hampala. theres dispar and theres the normal i believe

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
pupumole;3610269; said:
be aware that there are two kinds ( or more) of hampala. theres dispar and theres the normal i believe
Hampala dispar, and H. macrolepidota are the two species prevalent in the trade; dispar has a black blotch on each side, while macrolepidota has a black stripe on each side. I believe there are 7 valid species in the genus Hampala currently: H. ampalong, H. bimaculata, H. dispar, H. lopezi, H. macrolepidota, H. sabana, and H. salweenensis. H. salweenensis has photos available online, and it is quite cool looking. http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.php?ID=47857&what=species

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store