my new 180 amazon replica

jloos1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
canton, MI
just got my new 180 and i tried to replicate an environment of the amazon im not finished so dont go nuts :) but if u guys can tell me any suggestions of what else i can do let me know, i know blackwater is something i should do but im not sure yet.

fish 001.jpg

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Looks good. I think it would look killer with a black background and use some peat to soften the water and it'll give this nice redish-brown color to the water.

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
What are you putting in there??
I know its annoying but if your planning on putting big cichlids, catfish or anything like that in there then i would get some much bigger bits of driftwood and have it set up so even a 1'+ fish can swim under the branches and hide between roots ect, and just have those smaller bits you have in there now right at the front.
I personally would do that either way but i guess with smaller fish it will look pretty nice how it is.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Well, it's a very nice start! Keep us posted on what you do with it. Get some pics when you put some fish in. :headbang2

matty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
If it was my tank I'd remove the plants, there are no aquatic plants in the Amazon. Also agree with the wood comments. Beech and oak are both safe to put in aquariums so if you can't find decent bits at the lfs, take a trip to the country :)

NJKILLSYOU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2006
NJ
matty;768216; said:
If it was my tank I'd remove the plants, there are no aquatic plants in the Amazon. Also agree with the wood comments. Beech and oak are both safe to put in aquariums so if you can't find decent bits at the lfs, take a trip to the country :)
:screwy:

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
Isn't there amazon swords in the amazon?

Sundew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Daytona Beach, Florida
jloos1988;766206; said:
just got my new 180 and i tried to replicate an environment of the amazon im not finished so dont go nuts :) but if u guys can tell me any suggestions of what else i can do let me know, i know blackwater is something i should do but im not sure yet.
Nice tank, however, I think the two largest plants are Spathiphyllum sp. which are not aquatic, though sadly they are often sold as such. If that is the case they will eventually rot and die. They could be an Anubias sp. but the leaves don't look quite right. Both are aroids but only certain Anubias can be grown fully aquatic for long periods. Also Anubias are African, not S.A., if you want a "pure" S.A. tank. You might want to look for Echinodorus osirus which is a very tough swordplant, easy to grow, gets very large and many fish tend to leave it alone.

I have had bog wood stain the water with tannins, so you may not need additional blackwater treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store